Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 First shots with Tracker II >

First shots with Tracker II

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First shots with Tracker II

Old 09-21-2005, 04:30 PM

Default First shots with Tracker II

Finally got to put some shells through the new gun. I should first let you know that I added weight before even shooting assuming that it would kick hard. I bought a 3/4" x 8" bolt and cut the head off. taped the ends for a tighter fit, and replaced the pad. Still kicks -- basically didn't think it was too bad at the time, but as the day has wore on, I'm noticing some residual effects from the 10 shots. Results were informative but not necessarily impressive. 2/10 were dead on in the kill zone. Another 5 would have killed the deer(eventually) --3 in neck, 2 in shoulder. The other 3 would have seriously hobbled the deer. I shot 3 off the bench, but tube was too loud for me, so I shot the rest standing. Basically, the gun was shooting low and to the right. I figure the "right" is a mechanics problem with the shooter, but, I assume I can fix the "low" by adjusting the rear sight. So (newbie question coming here!) which way do I move the rear sight?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First shots with Tracker II

If the rear sight is a ramp....and assuming the high side of the ramp is closest to the muzzle....then move the rear sight forward to make your point of impact higher.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:04 PM

I think normally you move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullets to impact. If you want to move the group up you move the rear sight up.

If you don't think it is grouping well try a different load until you find one that groups well, then worry about sighting it in. I would highly suggest using a good rest for sight in. If it is loud use some ear protectors. You should when you practice any way.

Paul
Old 09-21-2005, 08:24 PM

Did wearear protectors, but wow, more echo than I had expected -- first time shooting through tube. I guess the other thing I thought about that I didn't write were the conditions of the shoot. I shot the 10 shots over about 40 minutes time. Cleaned the barrel after 3, 3, and 2 shots. However, it was a 90+ degree day. Ultimately, I'm not looking to win any contests, just get sighted in well enough to consistently group in that kill zone of 12" or so. Will try some other slugs soon.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 PM

I just don't want you to settle for less than you can get. That gun should be easily capable of 2 inch groups at 50 yards with the right ammo, even with open sights. Providing you can shoot that well. I don't know about 100 yards, that would really depend how well you shoot. I would think three or four inches at 100 yards would not be too far fetched though.

Another thing to keep in mind. The smaller your aiming point, the smaller your groups will be in most cases. If you are shooting at a picture of a deer or something I would swtich to regular target for sighting in. Life like targets are great to practice with, for learning proper shot placement and the such. However when you are sighting in you want more precision. That comes by shooting at a smaller target or some sort of square outline. Technically it is best to shoot at horizontal and verticle lines only concerning yourself with one axis at a time. I forgoe that with weapons that are very expensive to shoot or abusive because it requires a lot more shooting.

Other than those issues, what do you think of the gun? Mine does not hurt to shoot, but my buddy says it jumps 2 feet off the rest every time I pull the trigger. He gets a laugh out of it every time I shoot.

Paul
Old 09-22-2005, 03:58 PM

Good looking gun. All parts seem to function as they should. Easy to add weight to stock. Does jump like all get out, but I like it for the price.