Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Would like some input on shotguns >

Would like some input on shotguns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Would like some input on shotguns

Old 09-12-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Would like some input on shotguns

I am looking into a new shotgun, and have several I am interested in. If you have any infoon any of these, good or bad, please let me know.

Beretta
3901 American Citizen $500-$700
AL391 Urika Synthetic Optima $800-$1000
*A391 Extrema 2 $800-$1000

Benelli
Montefeltro $750-$900
*Super Black Eagle II Comfortech $1200-$1300
*Nova $300

Remington
*870 Express Super Mag $250

* Denotes 3 1/2" chamber.

So, out of these, whats good, bad, or whatever. Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would like some input on shotguns

First of all some history:

Years ago I bought a 3" 12 Ga and all I learned was that it cost me a helluva lot more to miss ducks than a 2 3/4" gun.

I don't personally see any advantage in a 3 1/2" chamber.

The last turkey I shot was with a .410....yes #7 1/2 shot 11/16 Oz of lead.

If I had a grand to spend on a shotgun it'd be an SKB 505 O/U and I know that wasn't one you're looking at.

Personally I'd recommend the Remington 870 because they just plain work well and you can get almost all your money back from it some day if you choose to move to a different gun.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:05 PM

Right now I would not have any use for a 3 1/2" chamber. I used to have an 870 express mag that shot 3" shells. They were unpleasant enough to shoot. But, I want to cover all options and possibilties in the future. Right now the only shotgun hunting I am doing is with a .410 and a 20 ga.Except my slug gun which can only fire slugs. But I will be starting to hunt geese this year, and possibly turkeys in the future. I am really starting to lean towards the 870 and the Nova. Shoot anything out of them no problem. And they are a fraction of the cost of the others. And slug barrels are available in either one, if I ever get rid of my current slug gun. I didn't include any O/U guns, because I never have really liked them. I have owned 2, a Beretta 686 Onyx and a Winchester expert ( I beleive that is what it was called). Never really liked either one. The Beretta was definitely a better gun though. It just didn't feel good to carry and shoulder it. Thanks for your input Vapodog. It is much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right now all my upland hunting is done with a 20 Ga....I sometimes use a 28 and a .410 too. I find absolutely no use for a 12 Ga for pheasants or other upland birds.

Turkey might be different. but as I said...the last one I killed was with a 410.

All the clays events I also use a 20 Ga and all the skeet targets I shoot today are with the 28 and 410.

The only reason to own a 12 Ga in my opinion is waterfowl and using steel shot. Then a 3" is as big as I need.

For those that can handle a pump gun well, there's little more to be said than the historic 870....it's been proving its worth for at least half a century now. Winchester's 1300 is also a very fine pump gun.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:52 PM

Like I said, I do most of my hunting with a 410 and 20 ga. The 20 ga is a Remington 870, and has served me well. Just wanted to try something different maybe. That is what attracted me to the Nova. It fits me just as well as the 870 does.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:29 PM

i dont see a bad gun on that list...personally i would go with the benelli
Old 09-12-2005, 05:51 PM

Its tough to beat the benelli, but all the guns you mentioned are good. Ive used the beretta urika and extrema for three years in a row while hunting dove in mexico (the lodge i go to has berettas). Didn't have a problem with em once.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:58 PM

Have you looked at the Browning BPS?

They are great shot guns. I have a BPS stalker in 3.5''. I would have to say b/t it and my Remington 700, they are the most reliable guns in my safe.

I also agree that a 3.5'' isn't something that you have to have, but I like it.

They also have the BPS in 3'' models.

If you have your mind set on the ones you have listed, its kinda hard to make a suggestion b/c all are good guns, but you are also comparing a pump to an auto.

I wouldn't say that you would go wrong with either on your list. However, I would strongly encourage you to go take a look at a BPS if you want a pump.

Also something to keep in mind. Many people ask about guns and make a decision based on other peoples suggestions and/or advice w/o even picking up the gun first. BAD IDEA. Everyone is different. Try the gun to make sure it fits your body b/c I assure you that nothing is worse than spending that much money on a gun that isn't comfortable to shoot.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:14 PM

Benelli's are notoriossly (sp?) great guns, but comparing their semi's to their Nova is not fair. the nova has had some minor problems or annoyances. for a little less money you can get a more proven and in my opinion better gun, in the 870
Old 09-12-2005, 06:22 PM

The quality of the 870 has really dropped. If you like the feel of the Nova, I would go with that.

Quick Reply: Would like some input on shotguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.