Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 9mm or 40sw for daughter >

9mm or 40sw for daughter

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9mm or 40sw for daughter

Old 08-08-2005, 07:47 PM

Default 9mm or 40sw for daughter

I'm looking for a semi-auto handgun for my daughter. She IS NOT a shooter but has shown an interest in joining me at the range. I'm considering both the 40sw and 9mm. I'm concerned about recoil for her - as she's a new shooter I don't want something with heavy recoil that may discourage her. I would also like something big enough to take out the ocassional dog running deer on my property. Any recommendations?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-08-2005, 08:40 PM

Default RE: 9mm or 40sw for daughter

glock .40cal with pakmar slip on grips. reduced my recoil buy about half. shoot NICE now. model 22
Old 08-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think 9's are lower on the train up time in an auto. I think the Army decided the same thing. Any chance you could take her to El Gun Shoppo to put a few in her hand to see how they feel?

Weight can be a factor with some young ladies. I wouldn't hesitate to give one of my daughters a good 32 or 380 to take to the range and most doggies won't stand up to them. One of my work friends got a light 38 special Taurus. One of the penitentiary shift captains called her and said when so & so gets out, he is coming after her. She got licensed, and shoots well with it, but it hurts her hand after awhile.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:56 PM

What does she want it for? Just to shoot or to carry? I would suggest a browning buckmark .22. Much more fun to shoot and it would be cheaper, and maybe more accurate as well. My ex wife loved hers. I had a browning Hi Power as well. They are a bit thick if you have small hands (I do), rubber grips helped a little. Sub sonic 9mm round will have less recoil than a .40 SW as well.

Or you could get her a .357 and shoot .38's out of it to train her. Then if she wanted full power she could shoot the .357 rounds. I don't have any trouble with .357 rounds in a full sized revolver and I'm pretty little.

The 380's are nice as well. I had a PPK for a while and it was a nice little gun.

Find a place that rents them and let her shoot a few to see what she likes.

Paul
Old 08-08-2005, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: ranwin33
I'm looking for a semi-auto handgun for my daughter. She IS NOT a shooter but has shown an interest in joining me at the range. I'm considering both the 40sw and 9mm. I'm concerned about recoil for her - as she's a new shooter I don't want something with heavy recoil that may discourage her. I would also like something big enough to take out the ocassional dog running deer on my property. Any recommendations?
Recommendations? Yes - forget the semi-auto pistol, and go with a good double action revolver. I'd suggest one chambered to 357magnum, but start out shooting 38Specials. Target wadcutters would be a good starting point. She can progess to more powerful loads as she becomes accustomed to shooting, and can handle them. It'll also serve well for those dogs - without the temptation (hopefully) to spray & pray as I've seen some do with
high capacity pistols.
A good revolver will likely outlast many pistols, and the manual of arms is much simpler. Later, if she wants a pistol, she can always trade it for one.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:57 PM

I highly recomend the Springfield XD in 9mm, the 4 inch model. I have one, it's not a heavy clunker, easy recoil, the ergonomics naturally point the gun at the right spot. Please, please look into the gun. Shooting a .36special right out of the gate got my skiddish of the centerfire pistols. But shooting 9mm was fine.

So yes, look into them.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:01 AM

ive shoot both and neither kick at all. id sugget the 40 sw larger bullet better knock down power and average priced for ammo. i really enjoyed shooting the 40 that belongs to my cousin. 1shot
Old 08-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Tough question. My wife likes my Taurus 92 in 9mm because it doesn't kick as much as the SW99 in .40S&W I personally can't feel the difference and I like the ergonomics of the SW99 much better. I would say start her off with either and some subsonic ammo. There are a lot more choices currently for 9mm ammo but the .40 isn't far behind. If you are worried about recoil, don't get a Polymer framed pistol. The metal frames will absorb more felt recoil. Same goes for barrel length. Longer barrels will feel like there is less recoil and not as "snappy".
Old 08-09-2005, 02:48 PM

I have shot both rounds in the same pistol frame before and the 40 has more recoil. The nine can depending on what rounds you use. If you are shooting +P defense rounds they can kick. But target ammo should not be that bad.

9mm and .38 are pretty close, and when you add the momentum of the slide I think a 9mm kicks a bit more than a .38. We used to shoot at an indoor range in passedena or LA when I lived in CA. I had a browning hi power 9 mm, my siter in law had a .38 feather lite and her husband had a glock .40. In order of recoil it was his glock 40, my 9 mm and then the small .38 revolver. And then my wife had the browning buckmark which was none existant for recoil.

Alot of it will depend on the weight and design of the gun, just like a rifle. I feel revolvers are louder though. However I have shot full frame .357 revolvers that felt better than some 9mm autos.

I would really say let her try some out and see what she likes before spending that kind of money. I would really suggest a .22 for a starter gun. They are a lot of fun and cheap to shoot.

Paul

Quick Reply: 9mm or 40sw for daughter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.