Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choke Tubes

Old 08-06-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Choke Tubes

I have a Remington 870 12ga., and I am looking totry some different choke tubes. Right now I have the modified choke that came with the gun from Remington. What I am wondering is, would it begood to use the extended tubes with the holes at the end (ported?) to reduce some of the recoil? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Choke Tubes

I've got an 870, and mod., full, imp. cylinder, and extra full tubes. The only one with that's extended with ports is the extra full turkey tube. It does seem to lightly reduce the recoil. Why don't you like the recoil? If it is a big concern switch to a 20 ga. If you hunt small game you could try to go with lower powered shells to reduce recoil, or get a really good recoil pad.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:43 PM

It's not that I don't like the recoil, but I figure if I'm going to get an extended tube then I might as well get a ported one. Are all of your tubes Remingtons?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:54 PM

All of them except the extra full ported. It is a tru-glo gobble stopper. It may or may not be worth the extra money. I think they cost a little more.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

We were trap shooting today and my sons friend was using a Patternmaster with porting in a short barrel pumpgun. I DO NOT want to be in a blind with that guy. Themuzzleblast was bad when he shot and yes, I did have ear muffs on. Now, my Mossberg 835 has a little porting, but the barrel is longer and the porting directs the sound up. No one has complained about muzzleblast from my 835. What did you say? [] Jim
Old 08-07-2005, 02:12 AM

Think of it,? What does a ported choke do? It lets out the gases from behind your shot. Yes your recoil is less,but not anything to be measureable!! Don,t worry abjout recoil. One never notices it when hunting or shooting anyway unless your afraid of it or some other problem. So, back to the choke,when gasses are released in this manner then you have less velocity,then you have what less idstance in your shot,eavean though your max vel is suppose to be between 18-20 of your barrel,. Just shoot what choke you have and don,t worry about this choke and that one a momd choke will do all for distance andpattern just shoot more and get to know what you gun can and cannot do. vangusnmith
Old 08-07-2005, 04:39 PM

I could be completely wrong on this, but I think the ported choke tubes, like the turkey chokes are not so much to reduce recoil but they affect how the shot is seperated from the wad. They grab or slow down the wad letting the shot get away from it quicker. This may help you pattern better by keeping the wad from fouling the shot. If I shoot my full choke the wad will go all the way to the target and punch a hole in it under 20 yards sometimes. With the proted choke this does not happen. This is my impression any way.

I have a mossberg youth model 500 12 gauge with a ported barrel, and a ported turkey choke. I don't notice a reduced amount of recoil at all with it. And the ported barrel on my shotgun really does not seem to reduce the recoil much either, at least not like some rifles I have shot with muzzle breaks. What it does do a great job of is keeping my barrel level. It does not jump up in the air after shot. This is nice considering I am only 5'3" tall and weigh like 115 lbs. I have a bit of a problem managing recoil. I have shot simular guns without the porting and and didn't notice much of a recoil difference with the same ammo, but my gun had much less muzzle flip. I've shot a few pistols this way too and it worked very well.

My gun is pretty loud depending on what ammo I use.

The ported choke I have really doesn't look much different than a flash supressor on an assult rifle to be honest. The slots just run the opposite way pretty much.

Personally I like the extended choke tubes ported or not. I also have one in a modified tube. Compared to the stock tubes the extended ones seem to shoot a bit tighter and more consistant. There also easier to change.

Paul