HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choke Tubes
Thread: Choke Tubes
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Choke Tubes

I could be completely wrong on this, but I think the ported choke tubes, like the turkey chokes are not so much to reduce recoil but they affect how the shot is seperated from the wad. They grab or slow down the wad letting the shot get away from it quicker. This may help you pattern better by keeping the wad from fouling the shot. If I shoot my full choke the wad will go all the way to the target and punch a hole in it under 20 yards sometimes. With the proted choke this does not happen. This is my impression any way.

I have a mossberg youth model 500 12 gauge with a ported barrel, and a ported turkey choke. I don't notice a reduced amount of recoil at all with it. And the ported barrel on my shotgun really does not seem to reduce the recoil much either, at least not like some rifles I have shot with muzzle breaks. What it does do a great job of is keeping my barrel level. It does not jump up in the air after shot. This is nice considering I am only 5'3" tall and weigh like 115 lbs. I have a bit of a problem managing recoil. I have shot simular guns without the porting and and didn't notice much of a recoil difference with the same ammo, but my gun had much less muzzle flip. I've shot a few pistols this way too and it worked very well.

My gun is pretty loud depending on what ammo I use.

The ported choke I have really doesn't look much different than a flash supressor on an assult rifle to be honest. The slots just run the opposite way pretty much.

Personally I like the extended choke tubes ported or not. I also have one in a modified tube. Compared to the stock tubes the extended ones seem to shoot a bit tighter and more consistant. There also easier to change.

Paul