Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Single set trigger >

Single set trigger

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Single set trigger

Old 07-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Single set trigger

im just wondering about how this works , Ive seen that you have to push the trigger forward then you can pull it to shoot, well do you have to do this all the time or can you shoot the gun? or can you shoot it without using the single set so after you cycle the bolt you can just pull the trigger and shoot?

also why is the single set so good, is it just a lighter pull?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Single set trigger

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

With a single set for normal shootig you simply pull the trigger as you would on any other gun, for a lighter pull you push it foreward till it clicks. The beauty of a single set trigger is it allows you to have a regular trigger (3lbs) for hunting, then a lighit trigger (usually less than 1lb) for range work. I have a sngle set on my CZ-550 and I love it.
This is absolutely true, and many types of SST's have excellent unset pulls as well (such as the CANJAR). However, setting one can be a bit hazardous under some kinds of field conditions, particularly if you have cold or wet fingers. The trigger can slip off your cold, numb finger or thumb as you are pushing it forward - BOOM! OOPS!!

For hunting, I much prefer the double-set type. They are much safer to set/unset, and give you positive control of the firearm. You don't set the DST until you have the rifle pointed at the critter, and have obtained a reasonable sight picture. Then you pull the rear trigger and next touch the front one when the crosshairs are just right! With practice, the DST is the fastest and most accuracy-permitting trigger there is.

Some people object that the DST has a terrible pull unless it is set, and that's absolutely true. I would agree that a double-set trigger requires practice to use proficiently, but so does the rifle itself. I would have double-set triggers on ALL my rifles, if they were available!!

Another feature of either type of set trigger you hear little about is the fact that they permit you to "dry-fire"your rifle without any wear and tear on the firing pin/striker mechanism. You simply set the trigger, take aim, apply pressure to the trigger, and the spot where your reticle was pointed on the "target" when the trigger goes "tick" is where the bullet would have impacted! Excellent practice.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:35 PM
DM

Default RE: Single set trigger

Another thing, a "set" trigger increases the loc time "drastically"!

They take some getting use to in the field, but they do work well, i normally don't set mine even for long shots. Iguess i forget to do it in the heat of the moment???

Drilling Man