Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

338??

Old 07-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 338??

Hunter,
At 15 years old if a .338 is what you want then get it,but if you are looking at a good all-around cartrige you cannot go wrong with the 7 mag.
When I was your age I shot a 30-06 and when I was 18 I bought my first of many .338's.I been all over the spectrum for hunting guns for deer and elk.
If you are looking for a happy medium between the two,take a quick look at the 300 WSM,it is a very good all-around chambering.

Alos choice of guns PLEASE,PLEASE STAY away from the Remington 710,it is a POS.I know the howa is a little more but it's money well spent.
Have you looked at the Savages,or the Stevens 200 these guns are very reasonble priced and are built for years of use(400 for the savage or 280 for the Stevens)
You can get both in many chamberings.There is alos the Rem 700 SPS you can get in 7 mag for around 400 bucks.
There are many good choices out there instead of the 710.
If you go with the 7mm Rem Mag I'm shure you will be happy.
BBJ
Old 07-15-2005, 11:44 AM

I personaly do not know about Howa rifles, but Savage makes a great package gun. http://www.savagearms.com/116fxp3.htm

I'm looking into buying one of those myself, abelt in short action .223 instead of long. The stocks that come from the factory leave a little to be desired in looks, but quality and construction isn't bad. I have a model 64 .22lr from them and haven't had much problem so far. At least give them a look, great rifles and very accurite out of the box, plus the scope comes with that package. I would suggest that you at least look at them, like I said, and in 7mm.

If this picture will load, this is the custom laminate stock I was looking at. Around $400 if I remember right. Sorry for the poor photo choping on my part, I was in a hurry.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Why would you say that it is a P.O.S.! just wondering so i know to stay away from that model in the future?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rob1

The 338 is an excellent round, but if you are not reloading your own ammo, you may want to look at cartridge prices before you select as well. The 338 is not a really expensive cartridge to buy, but the 30-378 Weatherby is around $80.00 for a box of 20!!
Anyone who choose's a large cal. round to shoot such as the .300 Rem Ultra or the .30-378 would be foolish not to reload. Who shoots just 20 rounds? There are shooters out there where money is no object and who happen to like those calibers.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter4life81

Why would you say that it is a P.O.S.! just wondering so i know to stay away from that model in the future?

uh oh!! sounds like you already bought the 710 [], better luck next time........ for me the number 1 reason id not take a 710 is they are too rough of a gun for the money they ask for them there are plenty of other guns in the same price range that show much better workmanship. 2. from experince shooting a friends the best groups we could get between the both of us shooting and 4 different brands of ammo and 8 different loadings the best accuracy achieved was 1.5 inch at 100 yards, you might say i just cant shoot but i doubt that LOL i may not be the best but i stand my ground in 200 yard matches. and 3. Ive seen the extractors to be really rough on the rims of cartridge cases, actually sheering off brass from the rims. 4. Ive seen tomany come into my buddies shop with the extractor plunger stuck inside the bolt face causing them not to eject spent shells, which was caused by shards of brass lodging into the cavity where the plunger is. that wouldnt happen if the extractor was a bit gentler on the rims.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:53 PM

I dont knock the 7mag at all, but the remington 710 has got to be a poor choice. Just do a search on this forum. I did just that, went to the store and checked one outand sure enough... POS. IF you have not shot the rifle yet DONT take it back and demand a refund or at least an exchange for a different model (the remington 700's are great)or brand.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

IMHO for what the 338 is , I don't think much of it. The round is what I term as "snotty" and I find unpleasant to shoot in comparison to the 375 H&H or 300 win or wthby.
I decided on the 375 over the 338 for that reason when I wanted to step up ober the 300's.