Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

preparing for next season

Old 01-06-2004, 09:20 AM

Default preparing for next season

how are you guys preparing for next season? if your season has already gone out...

im going to go on out and buy a new barrel because of the simple fact that i blew my barrel off of my shotgun and need a new one im also going to scout a few different places and see what i can find out there to harvest a big buck next year... hopefully
Old 01-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: preparing for next season

Scout some areas I have permission to hunt, but haven't hunted yet. Check into gaining more land leases as well.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm always planning for the next hunt. The thing I do most is read through the forums just about day. I'm also shopping around for the best deals on new gear, hitting the range as often as possible to try new loads, and putting together some maps to use when I start scouting.

I'm pretty psyched about spring gobbler season, so I've been devoting a lot of energy to that. But what I really dream about is that next big, mature buck. It stinks having to wait another eleven months.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to prepare for the next season as soon as the season is over. Season went out here Thursday and me and the kids were out Friday morning scouting. I like to look for new stand locations and spots that i found during the season but didn't get the chance to hunt. If there's new shooting lanes to be cut now's the time to do it while the snakes and ticks are at bay and all the leaves are off the trees then i'll go back just before fall and do some trimming. I like to work on new loads in the off season and shoot every chance i get gun & bow. I think that at times i enjoy the preparation of hunting more than the hunt itself.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Try to get more land to hunt on for next season. Good land around me is fairly scarce, but I do have a couple of places in mind where some big bucks were taken this year. Then, after getting permission, walk through the land and try to find some good trails and what-not for next year.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm always looking ahead! Hopefully we will get to keep our hunting place. The land has changed owners, but we are expecting to be able to keep the lease.
I was going to have to look for one new spot. My old "go to" spot has lost its luster. The clear cut has grown over, and we saw way less deer this year than we have in past years. However, the timber company has done me a great favor! They are thinning the pines out nearby, and have also created another small clearcut, that they are using for a pole-out area. They have also cleared a great shooting lane that runs parallel to a creek!
I will still have to move my stand, but not very far! And since it is within my area, no one else can claim this spot!
Old 01-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already prepared as well for next season...I went to wal mart and bought a bunch of hunting items on clearence.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am going to buy some nice gifts for the two landowners who provide me with about 9000 acres of land to hunt on. They border my small farm on two sides. I think I am going to get each of them a good rifle scope. Man it means a lot to not have to wonder whether I can find a place to hunt. I went all through high school with one of the guys and the other is his Son. My land is enogh to bag my deer each years but its fun to look over a bunch of deer. This even though 99.9 percent of the time I harvest a couple does.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:25 PM

Have already started thinking about moving one of my blinds to a better spot on the ranch and have started adding anltermax to the feeders, we run em year round. Will be cleaning up shooting lanes and cutting out other unwanted brush in select locations. Will begin work on soil prep for a few new foodplots. While all this takes place a hog or 2 just might end up in my sights.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:56 PM

Going out to the lease this weekend to clear some undergrowth in one place and pick a good tree for another ladder stand. Continue scouting differant areas for sheds and other signs. Put out some corn and mineral blocks.

Quick Reply: preparing for next season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.