Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How the .243 stacks up (part deux) >

How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

I don't have a problem shooting larger game with smaller calibers, but just because a .243 will kill and elk doesn't make it an elk gun. You Don't judge a caliber on how it performs on a good hit, rather how it performs on a bad hit. I would shoot a deer with my .223 with a 60gr partition, but that does not make it a deer rifle. I have 7mms and 30s for that. The .243 is a varmint caliber and low recoil deer caliber for women and children. The .260 is better for a low recoil deer gun anyway.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:47 PM

I have to agree 243 would not be my first choice for elk, but in a pinch i dunno what id do. However, lets forget all about muzzle energy this, sectional density that, and think about the 243's on game (deer) preformance. Ive only really dropped 4 big game animals in my life. Two of those were with a 243. I have never lost or seen a deer lost when shot in the shoulder with a 243. If youve ever shot a deer with a 243 or seen somebody shoot one with it, i do not think wed be having this debate.

You Don't judge a caliber on how it performs on a good hit, rather how it performs on a bad hit.[[/
I definatly disagree, i would like to know where you came up with that. Theres no difference between a 260 in the guts and a 243 in the guts. I will agree that a 300 mag in the guts might do a little more than a 243 but no other light recoiling cartridge would do any better than a 243 in the guts. Using your logic the 243 and 260 would be exactly equal.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: texhookem
Zrex and I think on somewhat on the same level. I feel that some people on the forum hear all these bad things about using small calibers on deer and such without ever using one for that purpose and then go on to (with second hand information) bad mouth smaller cartridges. ..... so everyone needs to stop bad mouthing something soley on second hand information. ..... Honestly have any of you who bad mouth the 243 ever seen what it does to a deer? I guess not because if you have you wouldnt be talkin smack about it.
You and Zrex thinkin' on the same level? Dang, now that is frightening!

Regarding your allegations that I, for one, wouldn't be knocking the 243Win. for deer hunting if I had ever used one - WRONG! I am quite familiar with the 243Win., and used it for several years when I lived in Wyoming. Of course, I limited its' use to varmints, deer, and antelope - no elk. I found the performance less than ideal on both the deer and the antelope. Now, before you say it, yes, I can shoot. FWIW, I was also the firearms instructor on the PD I worked on for several years. My shooting skills may not now be what they used to be, but then my eyes ain't that young anymore either. But, back then you would not want to be on the receiving end Many a deceased priarie dog could attest to that.
BTW, what is with you guys from Texas? Why you insist on making do with the little stuff? What, Alaska got you beat, so you going to the other extreme
Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 PM

The .243 is a varmint caliber and low recoil deer caliber for women and children. The .260 is better for a low recoil deer gun anyway.
CORRECT!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:06 PM

BTW, what is with you guys from Texas? Why you insist on making do with the little stuff? What, Alaska got you beat, so you going to the other extreme
No we have smaller bodied deer with much larger antlers than anything that has lived in virgina. As a matter of fact Virginia must suck, terribly small deer.

There are plently of people who use 7 mags and such, I being one of them, however also use a 22-250 because it kills them just as well. If im behind the trigger on a 160+ muy grande south texas buck id like my 7 mag. For does and culls ill take my 22-250.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: texhookem

quote]You Don't judge a caliber on how it performs on a good hit, rather how it performs on a bad hit.
I definatly disagree, i would like to know where you came up with that. Theres no difference between a 260 in the guts and a 243 in the guts.[
The point is a .223 with a 40gr V-max will kill an Elk when shot in the lungs at 100 yards but probably not when shot in the shoulder, at least you wont find it. Then take an 06 with a good hunting bullet like a partition or an x bullet and shoot it in the shoulders, guts, Texas heart shot, etc. and the odds of finding it are going to be a lot greater. So just because a .243 will kill an elk most of the time doesn't make it an elk gun. As a hunter who takes the sport seriously you should not go into the field under guned for your benefit and for the animals benefit. No caliber or hunter is capable of a 100% clean kill count, but it is our responsibility to try, and your not trying when you are hunting Elephants with a .22.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:11 PM

No we have smaller bodied deer with much larger antlers than anything that has lived in virgina. As a matter of fact Virginia must suck, terribly small deer.
Oops! Me thinks I struck a nerve with this here Texan

TexHook to Hunter4Life:
....However if youve ever seen one used correctly I do not think youd have the oppinion you do on a 243. I do not think u can tell me that 100 grain soft point out of a 243 will kill a deer everytime if you put it where its supposed to be.
....However, lets forget all about muzzle energy this, sectional density that, and think about the 243's on game (deer) preformance. Ive only really dropped 4 big game animals in my life. Two of those were with a 243.
Wow, now there's a wealth of experience to base opinions on! Four head of big game dropped, and two of those with a 243 = He's an Expert!!!

Oops. Now he goes an apologizes? TexHook, you're taking all the fun out of it
Old 06-07-2005, 09:18 PM

Me thinks your d@mn right. And im sorry for going with the small deer thing its unfair for me to say that its not your fault your state has small deer. I guess youll just have to come to Texas if you wana shoot something big.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 PM

ow, now there's a wealth of experience to base opinions on! Four head of big game dropped, and two of those with a 243 = He's an Expert!!!
I was refering to game that was dropped on the spot. Not the total of game ive killed with my 243. Probably around 10 deer with he 243. They didnt run far. I was refering to the deer that dropped in tracks Virginia. I am not saying thats alot, i am only saying that from my personal expierienve the 243 works just fine for deer. End of story you cannot tell me a 243 is not an adequate deer rifle.

I do not even use a 243 as my main deer rifle. I am just amazed by some of these people
on this forum who think that you gotta have a freakin cannon to kill a deer.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Aint no1 sayin im apologizin.

Quick Reply: How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.