Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive? >

7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive?

Old 05-27-2005, 07:51 AM

Default RE: 7MM Ultramag..Is it going to survive?

If it dies, it dies... I am darn glad I have one. I reload, however, the factory load isn't bad, but load it with either 139 or 154gr Hornady IBs and it's a real shooter.

Michigan UP deer hate it...
Old 05-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think another thing that hurts it is that its really way to much gun for deer and other medium size game but when people look for a rifle for bigger game, Elk and moose as well as big bears, then they look to the 30 caliber or bigger calibers. This kind of leaves the 7MM version without a nitch. JMO. I appeals to long range shooters and is not to bad for this purpose, But anything it will do, most of the many 30 calibers out there will do better.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:54 AM

You make a good point, but the 7 STW looks like its going to be around after the 7 RUM is dead and buried . . . .
Old 05-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the 7 STW had a pretty good foothold before the 7 UM got started. Niether is burning up any sales records and the 7 MM Rem version is way ahead. The 7MM rem has a but more of a place in deer camps than its big cousins. I am sure that the 7MM Rem was a suprise to Remington as the MM's were never well accepted by the American hunters. It was to much of a Europe thing.. Anyway thats just my take on the issue. I had five 7MM Rem Mags and although they offer good performance, I was always turned off by the recoil for the power delivered and had just as good of performance from the 7x57 and 280. with less blast and recoil.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 PM

I own a 7mm RUM in a 700 Scendero???? Spelling.......I absolutly love it. I bought it for shooting distance.....The gun absolutely laughs at a 500 yard shot. I reload also. I reload the 139 gn. Hornady SST. What a tack driving machine.

I have never owned a 7mm STW but when I bought my rifle, I looked at the ballistics at the time and chose the Ultra Mag over it.

Mine is customized with a trigger job and a custom stainless bull barrel muzzel break. Just these two custom jobs allows my 10 year old girl to shoot it without a kick.