Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .243 vs. 30-30 >

.243 vs. 30-30

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.243 vs. 30-30

Old 08-05-2005, 05:59 PM

Default RE: .243 vs. 30-30

xwing:
First. Iam only posting a thread because you and bowtechPatroit27 need to have an attitude check. There is know reason to be jerks. And not every budy in Texas are a** holes, nor do we have big mouths
Beg your pardon? Who invited you into it? Anycase, bowtech... don't know me, and I don't know him so he had no business spouten' off as he did.
You want to give me an attitude check? Come on by sometime!
Oh, and by the way, I don't think I used the language you noted, but hey, if the shoe fits ......
Dang, but some of the folk on this site are crude & rude!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:47 PM

I said you both needed to check yourselves. You are right, he dosent know you and you dont know him, but Both of you are coming off as being rude. He was being a jerk for saying you couldnt shoot( if he was joking it was a lousy attempt like my spelling), and you said, Or, is this just another case of some Texan shootin' off his mouth from behind his/her computer? What am I soposed to think, it sounds like you were slamming all Texans as peoplewho shoot there mouths off. Since I live in Texas I believed I have a right to jump in rag bowtech and rag you forboth ofyou for makinginsulting remarks, you could have ansered him differently.I work at a gun range and guys there are as bad or worse to there friends when they are giving each other a hard time. Also you did not quote all that I said, you forgot the texmex food joke, but then again maybe you didnt relize it was a joke, you live in a different part of the country and not every body thinks somebody elses joke is funny.
You didnt use any bad language but I have seen worse on this sight than what I used, but your response to bowtech had implications that people in Tex are mouthy (not big mouthed, miss quoted you and apoligize)an and therefore a** holes. I cant say bowtech was being a donky butt, thats silly, mouthy people areusualy called a** holes, plus I was trying to point out in that comment that not every body in tex was like bowtech, and that I took what you said to be grouping us together.. So maybe all three of us were being jerks (and a** holes). You also asked if I wanted to give you an attitude check, andto come over some time (By the way this could be missinterpited as a threat of bodly harm, wich is not what I think you intendedbecause if it is then youneed to think abought the possible legal ramifications if someone was foolish enough to take you up on it). You missunderstood my point, I was saying that you both needed to step back and look at what yall were saying becuse this could leadto more insults, and while were on the subject, implying that Iam crud and rude, maybe I am but Iam a guy, and 90% of guys are rude and crude. And I was not tring to insult you or bowtech intentiualy, I was tring to get you both think about what you were writing. I am sure I upset bowtech since I upset you, so I apoligize to both and next time I will be clearer in what I was tring to get across.
Thank you
Old 08-06-2005, 10:53 PM

hmm.. i learned nothing.. except that... a .204 ruger will take cape buffalo.. lol.. in all seriousness lets try this for the velocity thing.. would you rather be hit by a 90 mph fastball.. or a 75 mph softball.. personally, i'd duck.. but for you guys who like speed go w/ the .243.. for you guys who like mass go w/ the softball(.30-30).. personally.. MY EXPERIENCE has been this.. the BEST ROUND i've ever found was a 115 grn round nose soft point for the .243.. don't make it any more.. but i bought enough to last a lifetime or 12.. why not, it works for me.. talk to you later guys..
Old 08-06-2005, 11:01 PM

Xwing,

Points taken, and my apologies as well to you sir. There had been several instances over the last month or so in which I had been referred to by various unsavory names, etc., called a liar in one instance, and then told I couldn't shoot by someone who don't know me from squat. Guess I was getting a little thin skinned.
Most of it was from Texans, so .....
Just too many instances by some (a few) on this forum who don't agree with what someone says, and offer insults, etc. by way of responses, question ones integrity, and/or their parentage, etc.
There's just no call for it.
Sorry for assuming or lumping you in with that bunch.
I shall endeavor to give myself some attitude adjustment, and render a swift kick to my backside
Take care.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:00 AM

delete
Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 PM

I would pick the 30-30 over the 243. This has been posted before but it is worth posting again. Start up the printer.

http://levergun.com/articles/3030_Rifle.htm

The 30-30 can be loaded with lighter bullets to achieve about 2450FPS loads in the 130 FN grain bullet. Speer has this bullet and it would make the old 30-30 into a 200 yard deer rifle. One can also make the 30-30 into a short range heavy weight using a 170 grain Nosler FN bullet that would be outstanding on Black Bear at tree stand range or 100 yards. I wouldn’t want to try that with the 243 win. For coyotes, I would use my lever action as a two shot gun. One in the chamber and one in the tube. I could use any 100 to 125 grainspire point bullet and push it toabout 2500 FPS to and get great results at longer ranges. As you can see,the old 30-30 can be a very versatile roundindeed.
Happy Shooting
Hornet Man
Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 PM

thanks for the info but i think the 30-30 is the better choice i still would like to hear some more feed back from you guys
Old 08-25-2005, 09:51 AM

God, I hope what I am about to say doesn't start WWIII!!!!!!!

I read all 14 pages of this debate, but I don't think I remember anyone brining up the point of a smaller, faster bullet, being so fast that it passes through w/o mushrooming and causing much damage.

A slower, heavier bullet seems to me, would have more of a chance to mushroom to its full potential and cause more damage which would equal more energy? Esp. at closer ranges?

Maybe this is one reason that most ammo companies started to use bullets like the Ballistic Tips for their super sonic loads? To help with the mushrooming due to the speed?

Again, if you notice these are QUESTIONS and not statements.

I am with the few that said they wouldn't chose either. I would use a .270 or .308 myself. If i wanted a rifle for both deer and bear.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:22 PM

For bear i'd used a 30-30. For deer i'd use a 243. i guess even tho i like the 243 better i would have to go with the 30-30 because you would be hunting bears also.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hand loads and a lever gun the 30-30 is a new cartridge. I like them both and have seen both kill a whitetail at some extreme ranges for each round. Last year I saw a 170 in. buck fall like a hammer hit him in the head with a 30-30 170 gr. rem factory load. I was very impressed to say the least. The year before saw a 140 in. buck fall from a ruger m77 vt .243 /100 gr factory load at 300 plus yards dropped like a rock . I was very impressed. So now I am standing here with my .220 swift .243, .270 wsm, .270 win, .300 win mag. and my trusty 45/70 and dont know which one to hunt with!!!!![][][][][][]
Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.