Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Ever fish Lake Clear, upstate NY, Adirondacks ? >

Ever fish Lake Clear, upstate NY, Adirondacks ?

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Ever fish Lake Clear, upstate NY, Adirondacks ?

Old 04-03-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Ever fish Lake Clear, upstate NY, Adirondacks ?

Going there for Vacation the end of July and wondered if anyone
had ever fished it before? Any advice appreciated.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ever fish Lake Clear, upstate NY, Adirondacks ?

never fished lake clear, but i did live on lower st regis (within 10miles away) and fished alot of other lakes in that area. you can expect great smallmouth bass, pike, perch and largemouth bass. the lakes are usually sandy bottomed with alot of tannic stain from the surrounding pines. if you have a canoe or small craft you can fish alot of surrounding lakes with ease. the fishing opptunities are endless. great trout fishing as well. lots of small streams with native brookies. lots of lakers.

one word of caution watch the blackflies. they;ll be in full force by then. i suggest bring a headnet or you;ll be eatin em for lunch.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

one word of caution watch the blackflies. they;ll be in full force by then. i suggest bring a headnet or you;ll be eatin em for lunch.
[] aint that the truth!

many chunks takin out of me darn blackflies [:@] fishing tupperlake, saranac lakes& a few others in the past.

Miss that pike bass muski fishing early morning in a small boat-standing up you see the ones that strike close to the boat.... a flash as he turns on his side barracuda shaped torpedos
Old 04-10-2005, 05:57 PM

Yes!!!! BIG Pike,decent Bass,Nice Browns and Awesome Lake Trout.....................

I`ve fished it about half a dozen times and had some luck.The thing is that you really have to pick your days,the wind really whips through there and you dont want to get caught in the middle with a canoe with whitecaps,been there done that.
If you put a canoe of kayak in at the one end of the lake,you have to paddle pretty far to get into some deep water[it stays about 3 feet for a couple hundred yards]This part I`m talking about is where the beaches are.[take the Lake Clear Junction to get to it]If you decide to put in there[facing the lake]go to your right,youll see houses in the distance and past a natural spring[great for Browns]Keep going til you get close to the penninsula,this is where you will get some monster pike.
If you decide to put in arount the railroad bridge[good choice], you can get some nice Lakers and browns, and some Bass around the docks.Good idea to troll along the railroad tracks,zig-zagging through the shallows through the drop-offs.
So many places to fish in the Lake Placid region..........Also try Rat pond,stocked with huge Browns,Whey Pond you will catch some beautiful Bows and Brookies,this pond is in the Fish Creek Campground.This is the first year that you can keep Brook Trout, so there are some huge ones to be caught.Also out of the village of Saranac Lake is Lake Colby,You can catch some nice Bows and Browns,Landlocked Salmon and some small Largemouths.Troll parallel with the road about 30 to 50 yards off the edge,very managable lake with a canoe or kayak.
Ampersand Bay in Saranac Lake is excellent for Pike and Bass,2 large boat storage places on the water,not very deep but tons of vegetation for pike to wait and ambush this time of year.
If you are taking a motor boat, hit the St.Regis chain lakes and the upper and lower Saranac Lake chains.Excellent all around fishing and scenery,you`ll hit some locks to go through,make SURE you bring a camera!!!
I highly recommend you rent or bring a canoe or kayak,this will give you a better all around experiance, with Loons swimming under you, beavers everywhere,ducks trying to jump in your boat, and a family of Otters that I discovered living in Whey Pond last September.Also helps ten-fold on the fishing part.You can rent them at Adirondack Outfitters in Saranac Lake.
You will have to buy your license, so go to Blue Line Sports Shop in Saranac,ask them whats hitting and where,you can also stock up on popular fishing merchandise.They sell maps of the ponds and lakes in the area,this will help you find these places easier.
I`ve been going to Saranac Lake since `91,met alot of friends up there, and will be moving there for good the first week in May.Man, I can`t wait! Good luck with your trip, and e-mail me if you have any more ?`s.
Also go on to -WWW.NYDEC.com, this will give you alot of good info,also a daily fishing report.

Oh yea, don`t forget to bring the Maxi-deet and some cheap cigars for those flies with teeth.They sell a new Black Fly solution up there. It`s called Bye Bye Black Fly,try it. The locals swear by it.