Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Adirondacks Long Lake >

NY Adirondacks Long Lake

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Adirondacks Long Lake

Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Spike

Default NY Adirondacks Long Lake

Is it good hunting up at Long Lake in the Adirondacks..I hunted nearOld Forge one year and saw alot of signs but only 2 deer in 4 days..I heard Long Lake has many trophy buck areas..It it true??? How about black bear up there??
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Adirondacks Long Lake

Hunting in the Adirondacks is not easy to say the least. There are some big bucks, but finding one is another story. Deer numbers are a lot lower than most other regions of the state. Lots of state land available however, and the unique part is that it isn't like most other state property where there seems to be hunters behind every tree. Lots of land to get hopelessly lost in so one should be well prepared when going afield. From my limited experience in the Adirondacks I would say that private land holds the most deer(which is the case for most areas also). Where there is some agriculture, that is where the deer will like to congregate.

Last year there were actually more bear taken in other regions of the state than in the Adirondacks.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

i was conoeing up there is spring and its great country saw alot of sign from the year before,not that helps much
Old 08-23-2007, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

Not many deer per square mile, but the population right now is high (for the Adirondacks) due to the mild winters we have been having. The old timers I know up there tell me there are more deer now than they can ever remember.

Scouting is the key. I myself have found a few stands of beech and oak trees where there are no other major food sources around. They are a long way from any road, and I always see deer. I consider it my little slice of heaven.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

PA Hunter,
I have hunted Long Lake many times and fly in with Herb Jr. right there at the hotel. I flew in with his Dad many years ago but he has since passed away. I can not find anyone who wishs to fly and camp for the week >>> if you want more info or have a good group of hunters (3-4) and are looking for another touch base with me. I will also tell you "where" to fly in either way. >>>
I was up there 2 weeks ago and they told me the hunting traffic is 50% of what it was!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I was up that way a couple weeks ago and spotted a couple decent bucks. The larger one was a 6 pt. and the smaller was a fork. My buddy, who was taking a college class up there, spotted a large bull moose. Good times in the Adks!