Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Sturgeon spearing

Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Sturgeon spearing

HAS ANYONE EVER TRY SPEARING STURGEON ... IT SO WHAT DO YOU NEED TO GET STARTED???
Old 02-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sturgeon spearing

They are protected here on Lake Champlain. In the past there was commercial netting allowed but not for thew past 30 years.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

I Don't know of anywhere they are not PROTECTED. Knock yourself out though on gar and carp. Usually just forage fish can be speared or much more fun is to shoot them with a bow.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:10 PM

there protected here..but this Saturday im goin Sturgen Spearing on Lake Winnebago (WI)
Cant Wait...They Opened Poygan This Year To.
Last Year Spearing Close At 12:30 Same Day lol
Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I think they still fish for them in one of the western rivers like the Snake or Columbia. I saw a show a couple of years ago and they fished them like cats in a deep pool and when hooked they jump about 10 feet out of the water. The one I saw caught on TV was about 10 feet long and weighed a couple hundred pounds..
Old 02-16-2005, 06:05 PM

This is what you need to sturgeon spear in the Winnebago (WI) system: license, an ice shanty or shack - nothing smaller that 6' x6' and not larger than 8' x 8', something that is manageable to get around on the ice. You need at least one spear with a removeable head, with an 8' handle on it (alot of spears are made out of manure forks). Need a good heater for the shanty. The shanty needs at least a 3' x6' openning in the floor. You need a couple of decoys (some people use coffee cups, bowling balls or fish shaped wooden leaded decoys). You also need a gaff hook, a 2'x2' ice basket to get the ice out of the hole that you chop open everyday or a fish net and a small strainer net to maintain the hole. Don't forget a comfortable chair, your refreshments and lots of patience and luck. A topo map of the lake is a big help too. The ice this year is 20" thick so its nice to know someone with an ice saw, otherwise the going price for cutting a hole is about $15. The biggest one we speared was 62 pounds, but a friend of ours got a 164 pounder, 70" long last Saturday on Lake Poygan. P.S. You don't need any windows in the shanty, the interior should be black.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:03 PM

I Saw That Monster...Buddys Got A 20 And 28 And A 131....Whata Blast
Winnebago Sucks Now Not Many Sturgeon Being Seen.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sturgon is still open in the west. But there are seasons and length restrictions. In most areas like the columbia it's no less than 40 inches and no more than 60.