Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

artificial worms

Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Spike

Default artificial worms

hey i'm in 7th grade and i'm doing a project where i have to find a real world solution to a real world problem for any subject and i chose fishing. my real world problem is that artificial worms tear easily and after you catch 2-3 bass you can't use them anymore and you have to buy more and that cost a lot of money to a kid in 7th grade who doesn't have a job. my real world solution is to make the body of the worms tougher and leave the tail the same. i'm open to other solutions and would appreciate the help. thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Seems like the only solution to me. Or just not using artificial worms at all, use real ones from the yard, should be cheap.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

There is another solution...use a jig instead..you can catch alot more fish on one jig, When I flip in cover, I use the same jig all day.I may change the rubber trailor twice..Jig fish tend to run bigger as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

another thing you can do to make a much more durable plastic worm is with the introduction of elastomers, a good example is the 3X offerings from strike king, i use it in a bunch of the plastics i pour

good to see ya chuck, i don't post much here anymore, i guess you saw where the "religion" forum was gone
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir...the religious site is gone..it is what it is

However, thanks for the kind reply though Keith...and especially for introducing me to the jig..I finally got it..when you feel a tap..SET THE HOOK....finally..I. Got it..there is no pause...the jig is my #2 best flipping choice..and in dense cover ..my #number 1 choice.

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-22-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Well...another thing one could do..99% of my worms are the ZOOM black trick worms..You can tear off the 1/2 inch torn part and start all over. Usually the worm is worn at the end..

OR ..Since there is no curly tail on a trick work you can actually take the worm off and thread the other side...because it's a double headed worm..This would easily double your lifespan of the worm...Black worms flat out kick butt...and with the trick worm their is much less memory when pitching a shoreline...because there is no curly tail to twist the line.

Here's a ten pounder I boated last year pitching a black trick worm..this worm was distroyed..LOL I was using 40 pound Power Pro..she would have easily busted the line..The first pull feels like a an automobile pulling your line.

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

intorducing elastomers helps. Research Elaztech softplastics and 3X soft plastics like mentioned above. Chucks suggestions is a great suggestions as well. Though soft plastics tear easily, just pinch off the damaged end and reuse the plastic again. Works great on 10" worms. I've fished 10 inch worms that were worn down to almost a tail only, lol. When they want a certain color and thats the last one you have, you use what you can
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I must confess as I fished the black trick worm yesterday...that is not a 2 headed worm..one side is a little fatter than the other..

Bottom line..all hobbies cost money..it's part of the deal..you have to decide if it's worth the investment..for me it is..I get much more out of fishing than fishing..I love the peace and quiet.

Back in the 80s I was poor as a church mouse ..and a full time college student. I loved fishing and would pick up a lawn or 2 to buy my tackle..There wasn't a lot of different worms to choose from ..my favorite was the black and blue Mann's Jelly Worm..you only got 5 in a pack. I'd pick up other worms from garage sales...actually any color will work..Worm fishing is mostly presentation..but my rather is the black but I have caught them on electric blue, red shad, green. motor oil , etc. etc. and in all sizes..from 5inch to 10 inch. NOW...I'm a little bit better off and will buy 10 packs at a time..95 % of my worms are black...I rarely use bullet sinkers..I spray paint 5/16th ounce round split shots red..{All lure makers know that red causes bass to be aggressive.}thus the reason you see a red dot painted on the sides of a lot of baits..and this way I don't need to peg ...I also use bass pro 4 MM rattles in every worm to generate strikes...I only use trick worms..because the others kink up monofilament..I use 10 pound Trilene line as much as possible...

Plan to fish tonight..they are spawning.[-;

Last edited by Chuck7; 02-25-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chuck, keep all your old plastics, they can be melted back down and re-poured, you can come up with some new colors, or keep the original, molds are easy to make or ordred through company's like mudhole/barlows, it another fun hobby, for me anyway...

i poured up a 100 watermelon lizards last week
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the heads up Keith..

Did you actually see your friend catch that 12 pounder? That must have been a blast..WOW! WOW! WOW! I still can't get over the size of that horse. I've never caught a fish on a chatterbait but I remember this...

A few years back as the lure just came on the market I was in a pit ..I was using shiners and picked up a few bass..first thing in the morning..I boated about 7 in one hour..when in comes this bass boat..the guys were casting something and by the time they rounded the little pit they had boated about 25 bass ..I said what are you all using..they said,"Chatterbait."

As I was leaving I ask another fishermen..if he had any luck..said.." Yep, fact I just released an 8 pounder." I said what were you using ...go figure...Chatterbait..

I went out and bought 3..aint ever had a hit on one ..