Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Finally { -;

Old 03-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is the best of both worlds.. Being able to get her mounted and still being able to release her for another day.. Hopefully she doesn't get caught again and then next year even bigger..
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Well Matt was right..normally there are about 20 shore fishermen out there ..Today there was over 100...and somehow 4 big boats got out there..when the canal is nearly dried up leading to my honey hole..It's only 12 inches deep and about 4 feet wide..But none seemed to know what they were doing he said..I'm thankful for that..Most consider flipping to much work..The new moon is this Thursday..I plan to flip and pitch and see if there are any post spawners out there. ANymore big ones..I will not tell the tackle shop.{ -;

This place is real good Phil becaise for years it's been over grown with hydrilla..only giving up a 5 pounder here and there..NOw, there is very little places the fish can hide and spawn...

Certainly when the spawn is over the big ones will go deep and feed at night..they are not stupid.If you drive through this aea at night the water is very much alive...during the daytime it looks dead as a door nail..

Anyways..spawning places..they have back under willow branches..and I can't get them either..some are just too far back....dense cat tails...been able to fish this pretty good..and sandbars...very easy to get to.Most of us are catch and release..

I did jump on a few folks this last week though...Cast netting is totally illegal.Some Mexicans were cast netting..I shouted at them " Don't you guys know that is illegal?" They respond .."So" I said maybe I'll call the game warden..I have him on my phone..They said "What will he do?" I said arrest you ..and lo and behold..guess who pulled up 10 minutes later just driving around..a gamewarden..I didn't stick around to see the results..I was busy flipping a jig in the grass...It's funny , after our 2 eight pounders the entire place shut off..I think Thursday it should get hot again..I'm taking Tuesday off to go turkey hunting..I'd love to get one Phil..Congratss on your 2 birds last year...I wouldn't mind trading you some bass fishing for some turkey hunting.{ -;
Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm taking Tuesday off to go turkey hunting..I'd love to get one Phil..Congratss on your 2 birds last year...I wouldn't mind trading you some bass fishing for some turkey hunting.{ -;
I wish you the best of luck on your turkey hunting.. This year may very well be an off year for me on turkeys with our warm weather we have been getting.. At least it is warm for us northerners anyways. We are not used to ice fishing with the temps reaching 55 to 65 degrees.. That makes for some soft ice that is for sure.. We love the warm temps up here. Had a thunder shower move threw this morning out ice fishing.. LOL Just drove the sled in close to an island to keep out of the weather while it passed over.. I have never had a thunder shower while ice fishing..lol It sure was different..

I would love to be able to get down there and try for one of those big bass as well.. Just no darn baitcasters..LOL

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-21-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

A friend called me last night and wanted to go ice fishing.. I had to work last night but ended up going back out until noon today.. We never caught anything even though I had a good number of hits. They just were not hitting very good. He had 2 hits and that was it.

Anyways when we were getting ready to leave them temp was almost 80 degrees out.. WOW! Up here ice fishing with a t-shirt on in March.. Unbelievable.. Also when heading back across the lake the going was dangerous as places were starting to open up and we had to pick our way back across it.

So if the weather holds up the ice will be going out real early for us up this way.. I am not sure what that will do during our spawning bass up here. I do have a plan though on maybe hooking up to a large wall hanger during the later part of July threw mid August. When the bass will be in deeper water looking for an easy meal..
Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Turkeys were not cooperating..because of the unusual weather..they had already mated...I went to my 4 best spots..not one gobble...

Hope ya get a good one Phil.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to hear that Chuck..I was hoping you would have some luck with them..

I am hoping for either our normal weather to return or some decent rain storms to hold the turkeys back and get them to breed during our season or cause them to have a second clutch.. Right now it does not look very good for us either.. If no luck during our first couple of days here I will head up north more.. ( about an hours drive for me..) Sometimes they will breed a little later than my area does..
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

My fish is finished ..I just need to meet the taxidermist ,pick it up and pay the remaining balance..I got a fiberglass mount.This guy is supposed to be one of the best around.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Can't wait to see what it looks like Chuck. You are going to show it to us right!?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes sir ....
Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Super excited to see it Chuck, are you having it mounted with a lure in its mouth or anything?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.