Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
Are you detecting all all of your hits ??{ -; >

Are you detecting all all of your hits ??{ -;

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Are you detecting all all of your hits ??{ -;

Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Are you detecting all all of your hits ??{ -;

What this video clip to see what you have been missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shTA13I_vCo
Old 12-29-2011, 05:03 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

Talking

Great video Chuck - and quite interesting - now tell us what to do to keep that from happening.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

jig it...lil runs with quick pulls?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a difficult time with a video such as this. It is obvious they were in a holding tank or pool of some sort so these are not bass in a natural setting with food source, competition, etc.

Second, a large majority of the bites should easily be detected by a knowledgable, experienced angler.

Third, I'm guessing the film is dated. Whether people like it or not, bass fishing is moving to a different game. Instead of using hi-stretch monofilament only a handful of years ago, we are now fishing no-stretch flouros and very sensative braids in which an angler can pick out every blade of grass a bait may touch.

Another situation is a strike vs a bite. There is much disagreement about a reaction strike vs a feeding strike/bite. Who knows what/when the truth is, but some of the hits in the video appear that the bass have no intention of eating the bait. Don't get me wrong, reaction strikes are very effective, completely legal, and if you're not benefiting from them you are not getting the most out of bass fishing.

I've never been a big fan of the free fall method on some of the spinnerbait / buzz tactics.

Everyone has their own opinion though. I've never been able to research my own experiences underwater, but I'd imagine a majority of those bites would be easily detected.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree some of what BH14 said in that the film is a little old...most likely before the serious sensitive rods have come out.

In another video homer answers your question NEK ..after Homer saw the video he began setting the hook on anything that was a little different from the normal retrieve.

I've always knew that bass have a God given ability to expel any bait quicklyt out of their mouths. In my experience bass will hold on to a rubber worm alot longer than a jig...probably because a worm is harder to detect that it's a phony.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had this happen to me in clear water a few times. With a chatterbait and steady retrieve that I used a lot last year, I saw a large bass approach, I saw the fish swallow my lure and watched my line jump to the side. I almost instantly set the hook only to have my lure come flying at me.

This occured in no more than 1-1.5 seconds, and not once did I feel a tap on my line. The fish swam back down as fast as it approached. The setup was a MH rod, 30lb braid and 20 lb flouro leader. Sensitivity isnt an issue with that setup and I have had this happen several times. The one caveat however is that the fish have always surged from behind the lure and attacked the lure while coming directly towards me. I am assuming that this is why i never felt the TAP, mainly because there was no tap to be felt since the fish over powered the lure in the direction that the lure was already traveling.

Who knows, great video though!

Last edited by Gangly; 12-29-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Gangly/Aaron
Old 01-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just watch the fish eat the bait on my side imaging
Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Where ya been at Josh?? I've missed you.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

working, hunting, golfing, restoring the boat. really dont use the computer too much anymore, mostly just the phone.