Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Time to buy a boat..

Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Time to buy a boat..

I drove 80 miles to fish Florida's #1 bass lake today..Kissimmmee... the lake water came in my boat like a flood.However, the old 10 foot Polarcraft has served me well.It's a 1960 model and I bought it used in 1983 for 100.00

I went looking today..for a new 14 foot G3 boat with live well and new trailor..we are looking at 1900.

I've been checking Craigslist..out of 30 boats I like 2...both were sold.With patience you can find a 14 foot ..decked out with a 9 or 15 HP motor...and trailor for undr 2000...I'll wait till the next full moon..if I can't find one..I buy a new G3 and deck it out myself..A better jon is the Grizzly..they are costly...2600.00 for tjust the boat..Bass pro sells them.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Well....of all the jons I saw..none were as strong as mine..I fixed the leak.I think with JB welder..however..I plan to take my boat to a welding place and have them weld the entire seam..if it's possible..I know nothing about welding..I can see where they welded some of the seem but not all of it..

Also...I checked about my Nissan 4 HP motor..the mechanic at the Nissaon shop said..disconnect the fuel pump and run the a line directly from the gas tank to carb.."It's gravity fed..the fuel pump is only used when you hook up the auxillary tank" beats me..but I 'll try it..He said the fuel pump has been sucking in air..

I love my 10 foot jon..maybe I can keep it.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

my bass boat is for sale
Old 03-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Dominant Buck

yours is too big Josh..

After pondering the situation I plan to take it to a welding shop...and have them weld a beed around the entire inside of the seam ..where the sides meet the bottom. I stopped by 2 boat stores..It takes both of my arms flexing a muscle to lift the back of my 10 foot Polarcraft..I could left up an Alumicraft 14 footer and a G3 14 footer with 3 fingers..they are light as a feather..My 10 holds over 650 pounds..the Maximum for the 14 foot Alumicraft is about 450 ..The G3 is 600 maxs including all equipment. WIth the recession going on..I think boat makers are making the aluminum thinnner...Grizzly jons are the thickest, strongest jons out there.

IF ...I had to buy a jon..Tracker makes a very nice one but is expensive..it's a Grizzly...These are around 2000 for just the boat..I love my 10..Matt and I have both stood in it at the same time flipping..problaly why the seam is messing up } -;

I may fix up my 10 footer and sell it and buy this..I like this boat to the MAX..I like the deck that is built in already..

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3302

Last edited by Chuck7; 03-19-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Dominant Buck

My wife controls the finances .Here's her advice..

" Chuck, the trailor and seats will bring the total cost between 3500-4000.00 Let's watch Craigslist until June. I know you can find a better deal..probably one with a big kicker on it and fish finders..If you don't find what you are lookng for you can go up to Bass Pro in June and buy a Griizly ."

I called Bass Pro..that jon weighs 437 pounds..it's a beast. LOL ..
Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good Luck on what you decide to do with your john boat. I do believe once you get that small boat welded up you will enjoy it. I am thinking of taking my small aluminum boat up to a friends house and having it welded up as well. It is good to have a small boat for accessing those smaller lakes. So if you have the room I would hang onto your small boat. It may come in handy.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

AMEN Phil!!!!! I put JB Welder on it last night...fished this morning and got a 5 pound 23 inch bass..She's still catchin fish LOL

I beleive I'll keep her..they just don't make boats like they used to.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

careful with tracker boats. lots of owners on bass boat central claim the welds are incomplete, over heating the aluminum (weakens and eventually fails), and are denying any warranty welds that are inside the hull (claiming only outside welds/seams are covered). Ill take some pics of my electric lake only jon boat set up i have. its 14' with a 9.9, digital 54lb thrust trollingmotor on the front, 45 lb thrust on the transom, garage floor sealant paint, 54" beam, galvanized trailer - and I have about $1500 in it. I saved so much money by buying peices individually, and catching sales for the trolling motors.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

also, if you decide to repair check out marine tex. its an epoxy that has an insane bond strength, and is literally stronger than the boat.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd love to see your jon boat Josh,,,I'm also checking out the patch stuff you reccommend ..I did a quick JBWeld on here and caught some bass yestersay..

MARINE TEX SITE>.I'm going to get some of it..

http://www.marinetex.com/

JOSH..concerning Tracker Grizzly..You are correct ..I did a review serach on them yesterday..VERY POOR WELDS and lousy guarantee and service..I plan to drop my Nissan motor off and have it fixed and I plan to fix my jon up really nice..I love that boat...I love fishing secluded Florida pits..and a 10 foot jon is idea..If your ever in the area ..I have a few decent places to fish..ONE especialy..It's a small lakes that feeds into Lake Kissimmee..OUR #1 lake..Also there is a section of that lake one can fish EASILY with a jon boat..It's the northeast section..

Josh ..I found all the Marine Tex stuff on Ebay..there are a few different products..Have you tried the quick fix stuff..15.00 for the 2 tubes..I thought about buying those..OR did you buy the big can of putty..If so ..how does it work? What 's teh ratio when mixing it..The stuff sounds incredible..you have been a great big blessing today..Thanks so much for replying to this thread.

Last edited by Chuck7; 03-20-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.