Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Anybody salmon/steelhead fish? >

Anybody salmon/steelhead fish?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Anybody salmon/steelhead fish?

Old 05-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Default Anybody salmon/steelhead fish?

Does anybody else fish for salmon and steelhead? They' re running really good here now. I usually fish the Santiam. Went last night after work and caught about a 16lb salmon off the bank.[8D]

Old 05-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody salmon/steelhead fish?

Hntngirl, I usually fish for the salmon, steelhead and trout in the tribs that run off of Lake Michigan here in the fall. We get some real nice ones !!!!! As you can see below, these are about the average size. A little late in the season to eat them, but they are fun catching !!!

Old 05-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep!!! Out those two fish I mainly go after salmon. Throwing the #4 or #5 blue fox.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:38 PM

hntngirl,

I have buddy who lives in alaska, He fishes for salmon all the time I' ll ask him what works best for him I think he uses a lure. You also responded to a catfish bait post. What kind of hooks do you use after you inject the worm with WD-40. I was going to give it a try. You should try that Preperation-H on the catfish. It does work. That hamburger bait recipe works too. Give it a try It probrably might work on Steelheads too well good luck fishing. Hey how did you do hunting last year. Do you Bow hunt? I think its awsome that you hunt and fish theres not many women out there in the world that like to hunt and fish let alone like to be out doors. take care.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Matriarch Doe!

I usually fish for salmon and steelhead with whatever seems to be working at the time...spinner, bobber and jig, sand shrimp, eggs. I am going to try the preparation H for catfish! I read an article in North American Fisherman the other day that suggested that. It also talked about the WD-40, which was funny because I had never actually ever heard of anyone else doing that. As far as hunting, I usually do pretty good. I got a three-point last year (in this part of the country thats 3 on each side ). I see more and more women out there hunting and fishing. As far as hunting, I think that one thing that is important as far as getting women really into it is to let them experience the WHOLE thing. Alot of men (based on my experience growing up) tend to just plant a woman on a stand and say, " There ya go, Hon. You just shoot anything I run out to you." I really think if more women were exposed to the great parts, hiking deep in, learning to rattle, cow-call, bugle, they would like it a HECK of alot more! I rifle hunt, but my husband bow hunts, so I get the best of both worlds. I get to go with him and do alot of cow-calling and bugling during his season, at a time when you get to see SO many more animals, and then I get my season, during which he is working, so I take my vacation and get two weeks of total solitude. To go two weeks without even speaking to another human being is absolute heaven! Sorry to have rambled on, but anyway...Good luck in all your hunting and fishing!
Old 05-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hell yeah!!!! I am in the same boat, so to speak as priz! I fish more in lake Michigan than in the rivers. It sure is fun catchin a 28# and 31# in the same day! I fish off the rock break walls in Port Washington about 25 miles north of Milwaukee. Its like bieng hooked on bowhunting, I am obsessed with it. But then it sucks because salmon fishin goes right into bowhuntin season!
I have always been sayin to myself I am going to catch a few nice salmon and take them to this farmer whose land Ive been eyeing and ask for permission to bowhunt his land! Hopefully that will work!

Old 05-12-2003, 01:05 PM

You bet! I have really started getting into drift fishing for both and have been doing much better thanks to the tips I' ve been getting from those that are really experienced. I HAVE to go salmon fishing EVERY fall here in New York State. Even if you don' t catch anything, just watching all the people is a RIOT[&:]! There certainly are plenty of fish...at least this past year. Some salmon runs we don' t do as well.

This past Feb. we had a warm spell and I decided to try steelhead on the Salmon River in Pulaski, New York (about 3 hours away from where I live/work). I caught a 30" 13lb. steelhead (thought I was snagged ' til I saw my line moving UPSTREAM!)

Got another one on Good Friday that went 29" (about 9-10 lbs)

Then (Saving the best for last) -I caught a 38" 18 lb. Skamania strain steelhead (buck fish)...he stripped off close to 100 yds from my flyrod -running UPSTREAM--I' m sure that dragging all that line must have helped tire him out--I reeled and walked up to him (keeping a tight line) and while I was working him downstream, I saw him roll onto his side--I worked him into some shallows and got him on the bank--I was shaking like a leaf when it was done. He had a nice hooked jaw but the top of his snout was worn to the bone--I was told that was from " rooting" in the gravel for eggs. I ' m having him MOUNTED

I' m having a GREAT spring....I got a 27lb. Eastern gobbler with a 10 3/4" beard and 1 1/8" spurs on our opening weekend!

Thanks for listening!
Old 05-12-2003, 08:38 PM

Love yer country. I spent 14 years in Portland and still fish springers on the Willamette and bobber fish the coast every fall. Also took trips to Alaska for the last 24 years to fish salmon. Caught 46 salmon in four days on the Nestucca last year with my buddies using spinners! Need to go up soon as they are doing well on springers when the water is right. Good luck.