Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rocket Steelhead -vs- Steelhead XP >

Rocket Steelhead -vs- Steelhead XP

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rocket Steelhead -vs- Steelhead XP

Old 05-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rocket Steelhead -vs- Steelhead XP

On solid hits (think bone), which tip do you suspect has the better shot at penetration?

Regular Steelhead-

or the new Steelhead XP-

I'm sure both will zip equally well through on a well placed shot, can't decide which should fare better on bone. I really like the pathfinder tip, just wish there was an easy way to get it razor sharp...
Old 05-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rocket Steelhead -vs- Steelhead XP

I think the XP would be the best of both worlds if they had brought the steel furrell all the way out to the end of the tip of the blade to ensure that it would be strong and cut on contact.

I think the regular would be better on heavy bone simply because the XP's tip looks like it could bend over.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the regular seelheads. and my vote for bone would be the regulars.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

I shot the pathfinder tipped rockets this past year and also was not totally satisfied with the sharpness of the head. He is how I went about getting the pathfinder tips scary sharp.

Take a piece of 600 grit wet dry sandpaper and wrap it around a fat magic marker. Take the two ends on the underside of the marker and pinch them in a bench vice. This will pull the paper taught around the marker.

Now push the pathfinder points forward on the paper. The roundness of the marker conforms to the concave shape of the heads and gets the edges the whole way along. Once you are done with all 3 sides, the pathfinder will essentially be sharp enough to cut yourself with.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that the regulars would be better on bone but the new ones should be better on an angle hit.But the regulars don't really seem to have a problem with that either.The new ones should be even better as far as penetration goes.Untill you hit bone.[] I think I still prefer the old ones.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:25 AM

I don't know how anyone could worrie about the tip of a Rocket being "sharp"enough,,considering the "sharpness",or lack of,,,blades.
Some one said they have improved on the sharpness this year,,is that true ???.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

so far the new breed of blade/tips have proven to be durable and work well. I would think the standard tip would be better at breaking bone, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think the real world differnce would be that great. I do like the new tips though. They add more cut and should help with angled shots as well as overall penetration in soft tissue.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I think the XP would be the best of both worlds if they had brought the steel furrell all the way out to the end of the tip of the blade to ensure that it would be strong and cut on contact.
My thoughts as well.

He is how I went about getting the pathfinder tips scary sharp
Awesome tip Redline! Thanx!

I think for ribs the new tip would be just fine. BUt it does worry me on heavy bone.

I'm still undecided this year on what heads I'm going to shoot. I love the Steelhead 125s but I don't like the small cut & threading issues of the 100s (and my hunting setup this year will most likely require 100 grain heads). So I may shoot Sidewinders or go to one of the NAP heads.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that the solid steel tip on the original should be the better of the two on a shoulder shot...but then who shoots for that? I hope to try the XP's this year.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank... Not EVERYone can call their shots...

Quick Reply: Rocket Steelhead -vs- Steelhead XP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.