Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Fishing etiquette question >

Fishing etiquette question

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing etiquette question

Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fishing etiquette question

Confrontations... People casting over your line or lines.. Fishing at night and all that stuff. I fish at night from time to time for white perch. Most of the folks around the area fish the same area as well. We fish off a small bridge for white perch at night when they travel up threw to the lakes farther up stream. At times it's shoulder to shoulder. Sometimes there must be 50 people or more fishing from the bridge and lines sometimes gets accidently crossed. No reason to fight an argue about. We tend to joke about it and try to make a little fun of it. In other words we try and make the best out of the situation we are in. The passage the perch use that we fish from has street lights on both sides of the bridge and that also helps draw the fish in to my spot.. If someone else is fishing there pick another spot right beside some else.. Life goes on..
Once a guy was hollering all the time and I thought he was someone else so I started hollering back at him. We hollered back and forth most of the time I was fishing that night. We did it in fun though and when I was leaving he came up to me and shook my hand for having a little fun and stated no one ever did that to him before. Yes, he happened to like the loud mouth having fun of things. Every situation is going to be different. You can come across someone who has had problems with the wife or a family member that is sick and they are having a hard time. No way to vent it out and if you decide to mouth off to someone like that you had better be prepared for what's coming. Pick your confrontations wisely if you are going to pick them. As others have stated sometimes you just have to learn when to walk away. The attitude on both you and the other fellow/lady makes a big difference on how things are handled.. Take Care and good luck fishing..
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

while i understand what your saying, i have never had the kind of problems that i think your thinking of, i'm not gonna be a "push-over" though, i guess you have to evaluate every situation and go from there, but i have never had a confrontation on the water that i thought was going to get physical with another fisherman..used tolove a good fight, now days i'll take the high road and do whatever it takes to avoid problems, but i still believe you can get your point across and not be out of line, or a come across as a jerk about it
Old 06-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

i have never had the kind of problems that i think your thinking of, i'm not gonna be a "push-over" though, i guess you have to evaluate every situation
Exactly the way I see it, evaluate every situation on it's own merrits. I had a freind I grew up with that was out drinking and all while fishing and this other guy was out drinking as well. They were in seperate boats and got mouthing off over who's side of the lake they were fishing in. One thing lead to another and my friend recieved a paddle up against the head. he had to go to the hospital and took a mess of stiches. The other guy went to jail for aggrevated assult. Because why? A stupid arguement over who's side of the lake they were fishing on? It is rather stupid if you were to ask me.. A whole lake in seperate boats and then just sit there and argue about something like that.. I would of found another place to fish and if it happened all the time I would of made a report out on it. The lake belongs to everyone and no real reason to argue over who's side of the lake your fishing on..
Old 06-29-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was just saying I am not going to be a "push-over" (Thanks MT) Glad my second explanation made more sense to you Chuck. Im just the kind of guy that can confront someone without making them feel threatened, never been a fighter, all though I can if need be, but Im not gonna let that happen over a fishing hole. BTW granted my arms are long, I am still slow as molasses in a fight [8D], I need to at least get in one good thump to slow them down, if they know how to fight, at least the couple of boxin matches I have been in with buddies showed me that.As said before, evaluate every situation differently and pick your battles wisely.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Well..I'll tell ya what pilgrims..it just so happens that all the folks on here I consider my top notch friends..[8D]I'm going to chill out before one of you all slap me up side the head or something

By the way..I got blessed fishing today..I took 2 shiner rods and my Bible..I read 5 chapters from John but a few times my Bible slid on the floor while I was setting the hook on a bass.[8D][8D]the pages got wet..[&o]I had a wonderful moring.My wife is going with me tomorrow to have her devotions..I found a nice quiet place off by itself. I boated 9
Let me tell ya about the one that got away..[&:]
It was 10 and gettign late..I remembered an isolted spot ..picture below...I cast one in the middle at a bobber depth of 4 foot..hydrilla city..and wham!!! nice drag pulling fish of 22 inches 4 pounds..I cast again..I started reading some from John 5 shen I noticed the shiner was going nuts and dispite the BB split shot was skipping on top of the water..than KA SPLASH!!!! sending a huge wake from the epicenter..[:-]biggest boil I've ever seen ..I grabbed the rod..it was tight and then it went slck..[&o]Oouch ..that one hurt..might have been Mrs. Ten.

Oh..my biggest which was 5 3/4 was the first fish caught at 6 :15 AM in that 12 foot area I talked about between 2 islands..I got 6 there in total ..then I moved.
Here's my new spot..

Below was the best fish of the day..5 lbs..12 ounces

Old 06-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

In case it ever comes to blows, remember these two rules-

1. A polite tap on the shoulder is to be given before you punch him.
2. Always wash your hands before placing them around the neck of your fellow angler.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

good fish Chuck-a-roo, hope yournot fishing somebody elses spot
Old 06-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Dominant Buck

no sir..and it I catch someone back there..the stuffs gonna hit the fan..

Just got back..It was raining buckets...I dumped my shiners..I actually think topwater may be better..you can cover more water quicker..rather than waiting for a fish to swim by.
Either Horny Toad , or Rapalas..something happened to my Zara Spooks.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

no sir..and it I catch someone back there..the stuffs gonna hit the fan..
just be cooland everthing will work out fine

something happened to my Zara Spooks.
i hope who-ever took them hostage is not mis-treating them, like knocking the finish off of them[:-]
Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

.I actually think topwater may be better..you can cover more water quicker..rather than waiting for a fish to swim by.
I am puzzled... Why would you want to change something that is working for you? earlier you stated that nothing is biting as it is getting to hot down there. So why change a method that happens to get them biting again even if it is slow fishing? Slow fishing can sometimes produce the big ones like you want to catch. Those big ones normally eat big bait and then just lay around. That is what I have found out anyways and sometimes they may not bite again for almost a month. But we have colder water here so they can become less active easier maybe..

Quick Reply: Fishing etiquette question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.