Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Fall/spring catfishin >

Fall/spring catfishin

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fall/spring catfishin

Old 03-15-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Fall/spring catfishin

I love fishin. My area has plenty of cats, but ive only fished walleyes. I got this one last fall on a Shad rap RS in perh color 14# what a blast, any advise on how to consisitently get em? This one was kind of a fluke because i have only got 2 in my whole life here.
-jon

Old 03-17-2003, 08:20 AM

Default RE: Fall/spring catfishin

Don' t use artificial lures. Go out with shrimp, cutbait, or night crawlers and fish on the bottom. Be patient and they will come.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Don' t think you' re going to get ' em that big all the time either. That thing' s huge! All the cats I' ve caught I' ve caught off worms. Actually most fish I' ve caught have been off worms. I hardly use anything else. But live bait will probably work better than a fake one. Is Grosse Pointe anywhere close to the Ohio boarder?

Brandan
Old 03-17-2003, 04:37 PM

Irish, its on Lake st.clare. Just outside of detroit about an hour from ohio border.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:10 PM

the best way to catch big cats is with cut bait, or live chubs. Also you can chum up the water to get them stirred up. Where I' m at we have a lot of blues and Channel cats. A lot of people take fun noodles and cut them into pieces. Then they run 50lb line through one end of them, and throw out up to thirty. When the cats hit the noodles stand up on the end, you have to have a boat for this. That is the best way to fill up your freezer, but I usually care about the fight. The way I fish for them is at night and I take part of some pantyhose and put either chicken hearts or chicken livers to chum the water, you can also use the guts of the fish that you caught earlier. Then I run a couple of hooks a foot or two apart on a leader attached to a swivel. I put some cut up shad or bream that I have caught earlier to those. If you want big cats you have to use big baits, so I use heavy hooks, and very heavy line 50 to 80lbs. That is just the way my family and I do it. There are tons of ways, you can do it. Good luck. Also you might want to invest in a saltwater rod, or a catfish rig. Short heavy duty rods with large reels. Hope I helped.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:24 PM

I use cut bait. I buy some worms and catch a bunch of golden-eyes (i am pretty sure that is there real names) and cut them up. I can catch like 20 of them in a doz. worms. I use a large egg sinker and just run the line threw the hole to a pretty big hook and just cast it out. where i fish there is a fast current in the middle and a calm spot right off the side of it. I cast right into the calm spot. You can use almost any part of the golden eye except i wouldnt use the head or the tail. I ussually use 2x1 in squres of like fillet meat from the sides.