Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Mercury in fish question >

Mercury in fish question

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Mercury in fish question

Old 08-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
drs1961's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 389
Default Mercury in fish question

Our DNR and DHEC have updated their fish consumption advisory now listing certain bodies of water [most of our coastal plain rivers!] as "Do not eat any" of the catfish because of mercury contamination. Other areas have "One serving a week" or "One serving a month" advisories. Obviously the mercury levels in those areasare low enough that it dissipates out of our bodies for continued consumption. My question for anyone much more learned on the subject thanI is if fish from those "do not eat areas" were caught, tagged,and released alive into other bodies of water not contaminated [private ponds], would the mercury levels in their bodieslikewise diminish over a period of time so that they would be safe for consumption?
drs1961 is offline  
Old 08-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck
Chuck7's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 25,113
Default RE: Mercury in fish question

I don't know my friend..
Chuck7 is offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck
thundermug's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jax beach Fl. usa
Posts: 4,031
Default RE: Mercury in fish question

No. Once mercury has entered the flesh it never does get out. It is sort of "stuck". If I remember correctly, the mercury actually is stuck in the liver of the fish which is where the fat is also stored. However, as the blood circulates it carries some with it.

One thing to be aware of is putting a contaminated fish into an area not contaminated can actually spread mercury contamitnation to other fish. The spread would happen as the original contaminated fish were to die and it's body get consumed by microbes and the food chain starts all over again. The contamination per fish would not be as bad as for the original fish.

As for finding a body of water that is mercurcy free? I think someone will find a snowball in hell first.
thundermug is offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 AM
indianahunter83's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Terre Haute, Indiana
Posts: 914
Default RE: Mercury in fish question

Even the canned tunafish you buy in the sotre has levels of mercury in it. Levels high enough that they suggest pregnant women should not eat it!
indianahunter83 is offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn
Thread Starter
drs1961's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 389
Default RE: Mercury in fish question

Thanks for the info thundermug. That's what I was wondering. So much for that plan. Iwas just reading an article from our local power co-op discussing the mercury contamination and they stated that "We know of only four mercury poisoning events ever recorded worldwide. And they are all linked to unusual occurrences of extended, direct exposure or consumption. None were in the United States." So is DHEC's warning overkill or maybe too encompassing of everyone. They seem to emphasizethe harmful effects on pregnant women's embryonic developmentand children still growing. Brain development I believe is their big one. But what about us olderadults that have been exposed our entire life to everything that they saywill killus and our tired brains aren't half working anyhow much less still developing. Will eating the mercury tainted fish make ussenile quicker? Maybe a new excuse-I mean reason-for becoming more forgetful.
drs1961 is offline  
Old 08-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck
Champlain Islander's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On an Island in Vermont
Posts: 21,861
Default RE: Mercury in fish question

You don't get rid of it or have it go away. What enters your system stays there. I would pay attention to the advisories.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Freshwater Fishing
08-12-2009 03:13 PM
Fishing Gear
07-19-2008 11:04 PM
Freshwater Fishing
05-14-2008 08:42 PM
03-26-2005 07:16 PM
04-09-2004 11:18 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Quick Reply: Mercury in fish question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.