Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Mercury Optimax opinions??? >

Mercury Optimax opinions???

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Mercury Optimax opinions???

Old 04-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mercury Optimax opinions???

I just got a 2006 225 Optimax on my Ranger. What experience does everyone have with the optimax motors? How much do you use the smart tech?

Thanks

Tom
Old 04-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mercury Optimax opinions???

personally I hate two strokes becasue I hate mixing gas and oil, I would have went with a verado. But I here the optimaxs are very fuel efficent so that would be good. good luck
Old 04-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The optimax has an internal oil tank that mixes for you. They are really good motors, just makes sure you get them serviced at the scheduled intervals.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:30 PM

Comparing todays direct injected 2 strokes too even the first fuel injected 2 strokes of 15 years ago is not even a valid comparison. There is NO comparison whatsoever too the DI motors vs the old carbed motors. However, like any new technology the industry has "learned" and gotten better and the Optimaxes and Fichts of today are better than they were even 5 years ago.

DI 2 strokes IMHO are MUCH better than 4 strokes when used on boats under 25' in length or anytime weight and topend is of concern. Now eventually 4 strokes WILL catch up (just like they have in the ATV/motorcycle and jetski world) but for now the technology hasn't yet been perfected. The 225 Optimax is a GREAT motor and if you do your part and take proper care of the motor, then it will give you years of reasonable service.

"Reasonable service" doesn't mean flawless or perfect (as in no trips too the dealer). The reason I say that is simply because of the technology involved in the motor. With all the computers and pressurized systems and whizbang electronics you just about can't expect trouble free operation for 5, 10 or more years. The old carb motors like the XR6 150 Mercury isn't the newest, cleanest or most powerful motor out there. BUT the damned things are almost bombproof. They (and most other carbed V4 and V6 outboards) have spoiled us. They were so well built from the late 80s too today that they have set the bar awfully high for our expectations. But we gotta remember, like I said the DI 2stroke is a work in progress and continually evolving.

I have owned several V6 rigs with my current bassboat having turned 7 years old in Feb. It's a 1999 Mercury ProMax SS 225 (on a 99 Allison XB2003 ProSport). It is a motor built by Mercury's racing division and has several special features (hard mounts, light cowl, SS midsection, different programing in the computer, high rev limit and altered fuel curve etc...) that differentiate it from normal 200 and 225 EFI Mercury's. Despite being normally cruised at 6k and WOT @ 7K RPM at over 90mph, other than replacing the primer bulb and two voltage regulators I have never as so much as turned a wrench on the motor (had the oil injection removed shortly after the 1 year warranty expired). Even if you could turn them that high for that long, I seriously doubt you could get that kind of service life out of todays "super modern" outboards. But like I said, let the industry catch up.

Remember, the EPA "Clean 06 emission requirements" were thrown upon the marine industry almost overnight. Just like they did too the automobile industry in 1972. Look how long it took the auto industry to perfect the EFI "smog motors". Remember the abysmal engines from 72 thru the late 80s? The marine industry has much more modern technology and computers at its disposal so their "learning curve" should be considerably shorter than Detroits was.

As for the Smartcraft, I LOVE the system. I wish it was compatible with my ProMax. GPH, mph/gps, distance traveled, average speed, engine hours, diagnostics etc... the system is just amazing. Just lastweek I bought a deckboat for my family that was a demo of a local dealers that he personally used last summer. It already has a 150 Direct Injection Evinrude on it (which is Bombardier's name for the improved "Ficht" system which is partially what bankrupted OMC in 2000). The newer Direct Injection motors seem to have been vastly improved over the previous Fichts and EVERYONE is eagerly awaiting the longterm trackrecord of the new E-Tec series. If I had not have bought that demo I would've ordered a brand new 06 175 Opti-max on a new deckboat. Many would go with a 4 stroke, but being the speed freak (and efficiency freak) I am I refuse to go with a motor that is 100+#s heavier and more expensive than todays DI 2 strokes. Typically the DI 2stroke is quicker/faster than an equally powered 4 stroke. That meaning you can do the same with a 150 DI 2 stroke that you can do with a 175 stroke.

Gas mileage is no biggie either. The 4 strokes have less than 5% better fuel economy than DI 2 strokes at engine speeds under 4k RPM. At speeds above that each motor is nearly equal and in some tests and cases the DIs were actually better (remember getting rid of that weight yields more speed which will increase effeciency which increases mileage).

Good luck on that Ranger/OptiMax and I am sure you will get YEARS of enjoyment out of it. THE most crucial thing to remember about an outboard is heat and carbon is the killer (really the same with anyother kind of engine, but ESPECIALLY 2strokes). If you run quality, clean fuels and synthetic oils in them you will keep the engines clean to begin with and probably won't EVER have a lubrication related failure. My ProMax has been run on NOTHING but SuperUnleaded fuel and 100% synthetic oil since day one and I have never flushed or fogged the motor. Yet you can pull the plugs right now and the cylinders are shiny clean and the piston tops still have the cross hatchings milled into their tops.

RA
Old 04-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, i am gonna preach on this on although i doubt it will be as long as Reds replay.

These motors are absolutley great. THEY DO GET BETTER FUEL MILEAGE THAN FOUR STROKE AND WE ALL KNOW THAT IS A BIG THING NOW THAT GAS PRICES ARE VERY VERY HIGH.

the second thing is that this thing is fast we can get ahavey saltwater bay boat going up to 60 on one motor so you know that is some serious power.

Dont listen to the e-tec commercial that is circulating on the tv they are comparing their two strokes to four stroke which arent apples to apples.

they are 100 lbs lighter which will give you more speed.

Finally, thw two most improtant matters. They cost less than a 4 stroke which is huge like 3000 doolars i think correct me if i am wrong. They are alos a great overall motor and you will have mercury durability on the back of your boat and me i would have it no other way

BRent
Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM

I just purchased a 2006 204fx angler with a 150 mercury optimax(same year as boat), and for some reason after a short ride the engine over heats and I am forced to shut it down and sit for a minute, and then slowly come back to the dock, does any one have an clues on why this maybe happening????
Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOATGUY99

I just purchased a 2006 204fx angler with a 150 mercury optimax(same year as boat), and for some reason after a short ride the engine over heats and I am forced to shut it down and sit for a minute, and then slowly come back to the dock, does any one have an clues on why this maybe happening????
Boatguy....I sent you a email