Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

New lure...Gulp

Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default New lure...Gulp

I picked up a fishermen fishing off the shore this morning just for the heckof it..He was a new fishermen and Sports Authority equipped him with a light 6 foot rod and reel..His bait was a 7 inch Gulp purple turtle back worm...he was fishing that thing as fast as a Rattle Trap..I showed him how to tie a Palomar not and tried to show him how to bump his worm slow..I had 6 hits with my Gambler and lost only one..He had over 15 hits but caught none..BUT I was amazed of how aggressive the bass were over his worm.Theywere ripping the tails off. I was so impressed I went to Walmart and bought 4 packs of their only color..Junebug..I let him use my medium Team Diawa MH and I was going to show my wife the 7 inch worm.he left on my rod..Well, it's 8:23 and the worm is now 4 inches..it has evaporated.[:-]Yep..the biochemicals desolve in water and the scent is supposed to be 400 times powerful than any bait..It does have an odor..like a can of sardines..I got about 6 bumps today..I'll let you all know how well I do tomorow.I'm fishing the same exact spots...and only using Gulp worms..Top water Trick rig in the wee morning hours and Texas rig / Carolina later ..as usual.They are not cheap..4.98 for 10[&o]
Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New lure...Gulp

Great product. I use the saltwater gulp with great results. (gulp alive 4" swimming mullet) The gulp alive gives off more scent than the package stuff. plus you can dip it back in the juice or even replace back in the container with fear of contamination. You can't do that with the regular packages.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

yes sir..I'm not generally taken by new products and scams..BUT when I see this new young man fishing this worm like he was..I was totally impressed.I 've got a smaller tackle box I take fishing and leave my big tackle box at home..The only rubber baits I got in my box for tomorrow are the Gulps..Of course my Rooster Tails , etc. will be coming too..but 90 % of my fishng will be with Gulp Junebug...I've also got bids on 12 packs on ebay..I just learned something today..I had no idea scent had any bearing on bass biting..I know virbration , color , taste , temperature and presention are big deals but not scent..Learn something new everyday.//This has opened up a new can of worms for me..no pun intended.. My gambler worns are scented with Garlic Oil..they work good BUT Gulp was excellent.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Pros and cons..
I was drifting 2 7 foot worm rods over a 200 square yd area of thick weeds with water depths that averaged between 3 - 20 feet..Lots' of structure..
I had 4 hits in 4 hours..not that good for 2 days before a new moon.

Pros..Once they bite..they won't let go.

Cons..The worm must be cast lightly..tht biochemical worm easily breaks.
..The brine solutin gave me a rash on my hand ..you need to rince your hand off immediately after touching the worms.
.. I really didn'tr notive any more hits than my Gamblers..

Summary...IMHO not worth .50 a worm..Gamblers are .20 a worm..Would be best used as a jerk bait..
Here's a 2 pounder I boated..

Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

i'm still unsure of how much of a roll "scents" play in getting bit, i know a fish will hang on to them longer which would probably aid in hook-ups, if you'll look a lot of the "studies" most are done by labs that have a vested intrest....

just food for thought
Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

i'm still unsure of how much of a roll "scents" play in getting bit, i know a fish will hang on to them longer which would probably aid in hook-ups, if you'll look a lot of the "studies" most are done by labs that have a vested intrest....

just food for thought MTHands.

Well, my wife cancelled my ebay bids,,and we are on our way to Walmart to get a refund on the 3 unopened packs of Gulp Worms..15.00 ..sure they work..but so do my Gamblers..I'm with you ..I'm not sold on the scent release theory..BUT I'm sold on the taste of the worm to keep the worm in the fishes mouth..and Gamblers are Shad oil and garlic scented..and amen to the "Lab invested interest." I'm a teacher and have gotten an inside look at these crooks my self in regarding purchasing computers..[:'(]

Again..not impressed with Gulp..my wife was amazed that my thumb is still red from the brine....don't waste your money..If your rubber products work ..stick with them..I love Gambers..and Bass Assassins...and Zoom aint bad either.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Great review Chuck. I was ready to try these out too until I ready your whole post. Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

JOhnny, you are welcome.
.I just got my money back from Walmart..I'm stocked with Gamblers anyway for another season easily..
Old 07-30-2008, 12:34 PM

Anytime I bring in a lure missing a tail I chalk it up to a bluegill. Yes bass will do it too but those bluegills love to rip off tails! I do like using gulps in saltwater but freshwater soft plastics I like culprit.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill second Indian here, those were probably some hungry bream, ecspecially with those Gulps. They work great sure, but they are way to expensive and everything likes them. The saltwater gulp is where the scent helps you more and that I have used with great results. I will stick to plastic in freshwater though.

Quick Reply: New lure...Gulp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.