Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 easier way to kill fish >

easier way to kill fish

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

easier way to kill fish

Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM

Default easier way to kill fish

when i fish a lot of times i eat them so obviously i have to kill them
i always keep them in a bucket over night then next morning i just hit them in the head with the end of my fillet knife. sometimes i feel pretty bad about doing this and i wondered if there was a easier and more effective way to kill fish?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Default RE: easier way to kill fish

You leave them overnight?

I try and clean them fairly soon after I'm done fishing, and never really thought about killing them humanely. Just plunge right in.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

i wondered if there was a easier and more effective way to kill fish?
Use them instead of clay pigeons next time you go to the range?
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: il coyote

You leave them overnight?

I try and clean them fairly soon after I'm done fishing, and never really thought about killing them humanely. Just plunge right in.
what you mean about plunge right in?

i just want easier way to kill thme
Old 05-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess filleting isn't for the faint heart but after the first cut they are just nerves.

il coyote -- just means get it done.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

IF you fill bad about seeing the fish wiggle while trying to fillet them....when you wake up, go outside and empty the bucket of water, go back inside, make yourself some breakfast or something for about 5-10 mintues, then go back outside and start cleaning them, they will be dead by then.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

umm ive only felt bad about killing a fish inhumanely when some kid who wasnt with me walked around the corner just as i hit the fish with a rock, kid stopped dead in his tracks but oh well. either leave them out of water for a few minutes, hit them with your knife, or a rock. its how ive been tought to do it. but ALWAYS the same day i catch them lol, though if i get them at night or with too little light ill leave them in the lake overnight
Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 PM

Ask yourself which way you would rather go... Slowly run out of oxygen overnight or quickly have your head cut off.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the fish, sometimes I'll slice it behind the gill plate and take the head off and on some others I just fillet each side and throw it back in the water and it kinda swims off and then its recycled to the gulls or crabs and catfish and ect.

Bobby
Old 05-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I feel a little bad too..

So I try to make the process as quick as possible..

Bluegills or crappie..I keep them in a fish basket by the boat..when I'm ready to go..I dump them in a cooler.of water ..there are usually so many that by the time I get home they have just died. If some are still flopping around they go into the litchen sink..I clean the dead ones first..and then th efloppers are generaly dead when it's their turned ot be clean.

Catfish...sorry partner..they are die hards..I only eat catfish about twice a year..and then only channels. I've tried driving the knife through their lungs etc..no luck..so I just clean them as fast as possible.

Bass..I haven't kept a bass in years..but I used to give them a karate chop across the head with my channel locks..Died instantly.I use channel locks to skin fish.
c7

Quick Reply: easier way to kill fish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.