Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 easier way to kill fish >

easier way to kill fish

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

easier way to kill fish

Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Default RE: easier way to kill fish

i know my mom would kill me
Old 06-01-2008, 07:50 PM
MagnumMan308

Ice

I do all my fishing off a boat, and I allways take a cooler. When I'm done for the day, I drain the livewell, and empty the ice from the cooler into the well. The fish die in a hurry with very little flopping. Much cleaner than bashing or leaving them dry overnight IMO. Fish can live a supprisingly long time without water, but the ice does the trick and in a hurry.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I clean them as soon as I hit land. I use a paddle or a rock, and one quick, hard smack to the top of the head ends it quick. Alternatively, you can just cut their heads off with your filet knife. Either way kills them quick and as humanely as I can think of.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:05 PM

imight try the ice
Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Mossbergman11,
PuttingfishIN ice water basically numbsthen suffocates them - actually, fish can live a surprising amount of time if you put themON ice -their metabolism slows to a crawl - we've had crappie that were still alive after a 45 minute drive back to camp. We've also used ice to cool down the water and keep minnows alive longer inthe minnowbucket.

The quickest way for me is to either to use a fish billy (in essence, a mini baseball bat), or by "pithing" - holding the fish down and sticking the point of the fillet knife slightly above and between the eyes into the brain - being careful not to slip and stick your other hand, of course - and wriggling the tip around to make sure to destroy the brain. The fish may stilltwitch a bit reflexively during the filleting process, but will be brain-dead.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:14 PM

ill try that
Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
MagnumMan308

ORIGINAL: mobuckhntress
Mossbergman11,
PuttingfishIN ice water basically numbsthen suffocates them - actually, fish can live a surprising amount of time if you put themON ice
Good point, incase I wasent clear, youre not looking to set the fish on a bed of ice, but bury them with the contents of you're cooler, just drain the well, and dump the cooler contents on top of the fish, ice, melt water, and all, when you get home dig out your stone dead, ice cold fish and go to town with the filet knife.

Cooler Ice, Kill fish dead.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 PM

ill give it a try so i just pop some fish in a cooler and pour ice over them?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:07 PM

we do alot of noodeling and msot of our catfish are 40Plus pounds and they aint no faint hearted criter best thing to do with that big a fish is cary a hammer they dont stand much bashin' between the eyes
Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 AM

weel the thing is i dont really have a problem with killin em i jsut aint good at it

Quick Reply: easier way to kill fish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.