Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Question for fishing this kind of lure. >

Question for fishing this kind of lure.

Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Question for fishing this kind of lure.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Question for fishing this kind of lure.

For some of you this may be some foolish questins so please bear wiht me..This lure looks very deadly and I'd like ot use it some duirng the July play offs.

1. Is this a fluke or is this a Senko?

2. Are they best fished like a Texas rig with a tiny split shot to sink the lure or should I just use a hook only?

3. Should the hook be sticking out the back or barely in the rubber part of the back.

I saw this one swimming and it looks like a dying shiner which would be a deadly bait around here. I've caught a few bass on a totally dead shiner.

Thanks for the info, One of my parents last year gave me a big box of plastic baits...some of these were in that box.

C7

Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Default RE: Question for fishing this kind of lure.

1. Don'y know exactly WHAT it is, but it's not a fluke. A fluke has a sharper taper off of the body with a more slender tail section.

2. I run them with no weight. Hook only. Takes FOREVER to sink a few feet, But you cant get that 'dying baitfish look' with any kind of lead attached.

3. I run the hook point up throught the back and 're-bury' it in the rubber to hide the point from vegetation. Sometimes I'll hook it just a bit off-center to give it a little more wiggle while swimming.

That rig is in my top 3.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm going to give it a good workout tomorrow..I think it's the closest thing to a dying shiner if there ever was one...
Thanks for the reply,
C7
Old 07-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a leadhead hook.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats a fin-s-fish which is basically a slimmed down fluke. either fish it texas rigged with a light split shot, or weightless with pauses and twitches over grass or in wood cover.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

thats a fin-s-fish
Thanks Josh..I did a search on them...that is one HOT lure. It may be one of the best lures for my situation...deep pockets with heavy duty hydrilla.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

they work good but i like the flukes better personally finsfish just seems to slender for my liking but you put it on a weighted hook its deadly for a flounder
Old 07-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

thats a fin-s-fish which is basically a slimmed down fluke. either fish it texas rigged with a light split shot, or weightless with pauses and twitches over grass or in wood cover.

thats exactly what it is, I fish them weightless worm rigged with a 1/0 gamakatsu G-lock worm hook then stick the point slightly under the back for weedless fishing. sometimes if i feel it needs to sink faster ill use a bb size split shot about an inch infront of it.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

For some of you this may be some foolish questins so please bear wiht me..This lure looks very deadly and I'd like ot use it some duirng the July play offs.

1. Is this a fluke or is this a Senko?

2. Are they best fished like a Texas rig with a tiny split shot to sink the lure or should I just use a hook only?

3. Should the hook be sticking out the back or barely in the rubber part of the back.

I saw this one swimming and it looks like a dying shiner which would be a deadly bait around here. I've caught a few bass on a totally dead shiner.

Thanks for the info, One of my parents last year gave me a big box of plastic baits...some of these were in that box.

C7

I use them in shallows of 2 to 4ft of water and above grass beds without weight.. Right when it hits the water give it a few jerks and let it sink for about 5 to 10 seconds and jerk it to the surface so it splashes a little and let fall again.. This mimicks a dieing shad if that is what they feed on.. I use the punkin seed colors because we have lots of gill that is their main food... But my number one is the senko in both shallow and deep cause it sinks a bit faster and has better action when jerked than the shad assasins or fin s. As for hook size I will not use anything smaller than a 3/0 and prefer the 4/0 gama EWG worm hooks. You should expose the hook point thru the bait a few times to loosen up the rubber for better hooksets. Just leave the point barely under the body and you should be good to go.. Alot of fished are missed from useing the wrong size and kinda hook.. You want a hook that has 3 times the width of your bait.. If you use a hook that is the same or smaller your not going to have enough of the hook exposed when you set it to get a good set.. But your fin s and shads have hook pockets to allow the use of 3/0 hooks. Any other like senkos use 4/0 and you will catch more fish..
Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks fellows,
I'll be going out this morning. The July play offs are here.