Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Had some luck last night, now I got a few questions about throwing frogs >

Had some luck last night, now I got a few questions about throwing frogs

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Had some luck last night, now I got a few questions about throwing frogs

Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Had some luck last night, now I got a few questions about throwing frogs

Well, I decided to fish next the levee at the reservoir I fish at, well, there was some moss, so I decided to throw the frog below. Had alot of bites, but only hooked one. Well, at first I was just reeling it back in kinda slow but fast enough that the legs were kicking and creating a stir. Then I thought to fish it like a top water, you know, jerk it along the top. Both ways worked, but whats the correct way of fishing this?

Old 05-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Had some luck last night, now I got a few questions about throwing frogs

To answer your question there is no best way to fish it. Whichever, way you get strikes on it at the time is the best way to fish it. Without the proper technique frog fishing can have a low bite to hook-up ratio. Try these tips to help out your hook-up ratio. Use a large (4/0 or 5/0) extra wide gap worm hook. Also don't set the hook as soon as you see a hit. Either weight until you actullay feel the fish pull or count 1 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000 then break his neck. If you set the hook as soon as you see the fish bust the lure you will miss it everytime. After I changed to a large Extra wide gap hook and trained myself to wait a few seconds after the initial hit I improved my hook-ups 100%. Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Had some luck last night, now I got a few questions about throwing frogs

Thanks, I figured I wasn't waiting long enough. Its just that I get excited and set the hook instantly. I don't know how many times I've set the hook on moss, not realizing it was moss at the time.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

dairy king i had the same problem. you just have to wait 2-3 seconds.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 AM

The best way to get yourself to wait is fish with your rod tip up in the air. Not only will it allow you to reel a bit slower making the frog that much sexier but it also makes you have to drop your rod tip to get a good hook set. It is how I fish bot buzz baits and frogs
Old 05-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: indianahunter83

The best way to get yourself to wait is fish with your rod tip up in the air. Not only will it allow you to reel a bit slower making the frog that much sexier but it also makes you have to drop your rod tip to get a good hook set. It is how I fish bot buzz baits and frogs
This is great advice and how I have always fished a buzzbait. However, I have found that when frog fishing sometimes you still need to wait a little longer than just lowering your rod tip and setting the hook. Just experiment with these tips and you will soon get it down pat.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way dairy what lake are you fishing????
Old 05-22-2007, 09:36 PM

Beauty about fishing a frog is the bass is going to hold on for a while. I have had some decent fish hold on for a good 15 seconds before deciding it really wasn't a frog that they just ate. (I got curious to see how long I could get a bass hold a frog if you do that with a decent plastic worm then you get a gut hooked bass[:'(])
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

White Hall Rez