Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Confidence Lures

Old 04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Confidence Lures

zoom smokin shad and baby bass flukes
soom trick worms bubblegum and christmas tree and of course JUNEBUG
bang o lure
Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

most colors of the wave worm,zoom trick worm, live minnow, and soft jerkbait in rainbow trout or white
sry i couldnt choose just one
Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: childers

most colors of the wave worm,zoom trick worm, live minnow, and soft jerkbait in rainbow trout or white
sry i couldnt choose just one
Thats ok, I'm sure most of us could list a half dozen lures/ live bait rigs that they swear by. I do like Zoom worms. They're pretty durable for a soft plastic, one of the few that I will keep in my box now.

I should also add that for my third choice: its a jumbo (not sure on size, about 6 inches long, give or take a centimeter or two) jointed rapala in blue and white. My favoritepike bait of all time.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya and black trick worms
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Dominant Buck

It was my undrstanding that this lure was an all purpose lure not just exclusively for bass. If your speaking about an all purpose lure that will catch variousspecies ...I would choose the Rooster Tail
I'd have a me a collection from 1/64th to 1/2 ounce all of them white.
When I lived in VA ...it was the only lure I needed. They killed pickeral and bass.

If it's strictly just for bass.my favorite lure is the ...the Rubber Worm.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I find it difficult to choose just one lure as fish change up here with the season on what they like.

ie..... Take brook trout for an example, first small streamers and then on to nymphs, to dry flies later in the season. But, if I had to choose which one I would go with the old style Mepps Comet with the old rubber minnow on it. Fish has hit them pretty darn good over the years.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 AM
Dominant Buck

if I had to choose which one I would go with the old style Mepps Comet with the old rubber minnow on it. Fish has hit them pretty darn good over the years. Phil

Phil,
I haven't seen them on the market in years. I used to have about 3 in my tackle box..just taking up space. One day when I lost my only small Rebel diver fishing for crappie..I tied on a #2 Mepps Comet...WOW! I was hooked.. Also once in Florida I lost my last Rooster Tail while bass fishing. I tied on a Mepps Comet..WOW again..I forgot ..you are correct that is a very good all purpose lure. I 'm going to look for some.
C7
Mepps Comet Mino[align=center]
[/align]
Old 04-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks C7, I still have one in my tackle box for one of those just in case all else fails type of things. I have caught alot of fish with them and it is a shame that they do not have them anymore. The one I have left I use only in selective areas now, as I do not want to lose it. I had tried some of the ones that had replaced it but, nowhere near the luck the old ones had.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

It was my undrstanding that this lure was an all purpose lure not just exclusively for bass. If your speaking about an all purpose lure that will catch variousspecies ...I would choose the Rooster Tail
I'd have a me a collection from 1/64th to 1/2 ounce all of them white.
When I lived in VA ...it was the only lure I needed. They killed pickeral and bass.

If it's strictly just for bass.my favorite lure is the ...the Rubber Worm.

I was talking in general, what is your favorite bait to tie on. I didn't start getting into catchin bass until a couple summers ago, and I'll still take a big ol northern pike or smallmouth over a largemouth.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I do believe a straight spinner is your best all round lure..There are various sizes ,colors and blades but they are all awesome...because of this thread I plan to start toting my Rooster Tail rod in with my worm rods for the rest of this month..

I remember coming to Florida in 1981. I found a HOT SPOT loaded with bass. There was about 5 feet of hydrilla growing outward so I waded in front of the hydrilla and was using my Rooster Tail.All the pros were asking from their boats,"What in the world are you using.?" I was kicking butt with that lure. I fished a few fun tournys locally and my friends would say I was cheating when I used the Rooster Tail..They are that good. I won every local fun tourny but one. {And one fellow was a guide..another a strong fishermen from Bassmasters}They frownded when I woulld pull out the Rooster Tail.All were won with the Rooster Tail;. I've only lost one..I was using a rubber worm that day..DAH

According to the pros why straight spinners are HOT.
1. They are easy to digest..especially in cold weather.

2. If your just fishing for food...alot of other species will attack them. I never knew a local lake had stripers till I accidently caught one on it..I stayed put and caught 7... will post pics of them when I get home.

3. In expensive. 1.99 Cabelas

4. Looks like the real thing..it's easy to match the hatch..the hackle hides the treble hook.

5. Great count down lure. BeforeI had a depth finderI used my Rooster Tail...

6. For schooling bass...you can't miss..should be every cast. Once I caught 23 straight bass with 23 cast.
When they aren't biting good..I spin very slowly right off the bottom.

NEGATIVES
1. Treble hooks are small and a jumping bass can easily get off. Must have a net.

2. They will hang up...1.99 down the drain.

3. Can't fish in weeds.

4. Must use a good spinning rod to get the willow blade turning. and a high speed reel.
NOTE.....This lure is most deadly when fished VERY SLOWLY off the bottom..you must have a good sensitive rodto feel the blade turning and a high speed reel to keep her turning SLOW...This is how they work best..just turning off the bottom .The bass will see an easy prey and clobber it. I use a 6'6" medium Lightening Rod..works great

For bluegills ..you cant beat Panther Martins FLy...or tiny Rooster tails...1/16th

LIke i said...thanks for the thread..I'm packing my medium action spinning rod for this Friday.

Quick Fish Story...
I had struck out and the hot afternoon had come. I was talking wiht an elderly black women who was cane pole fishing for bluegills. I cast my Rooster across a pit.I let her sink about 15 feet. I gave the hard twitch to start the blade . I had one foot in the lake and my face lookng at the lady. I was retrieving very slowly to keep the lure on the bottom. All of a sudden. WHAM! a fish grabbed my line and pulled me into the lake and then snapped my line. I was new to FLorida and just got my eyes openedto serious Hawg fishin..LOL

PS When you get a hit..set the rod tip up straight and hard...Keep serious tention on that line. The small treble hooks are easily thrown out. A little prayer helps too ...

Quick Reply: Confidence Lures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.