HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Confidence Lures
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Chuck7
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Confidence Lures

I do believe a straight spinner is your best all round lure..There are various sizes ,colors and blades but they are all awesome...because of this thread I plan to start toting my Rooster Tail rod in with my worm rods for the rest of this month..

I remember coming to Florida in 1981. I found a HOT SPOT loaded with bass. There was about 5 feet of hydrilla growing outward so I waded in front of the hydrilla and was using my Rooster Tail.All the pros were asking from their boats,"What in the world are you using.?" I was kicking butt with that lure. I fished a few fun tournys locally and my friends would say I was cheating when I used the Rooster Tail..They are that good. I won every local fun tourny but one. {And one fellow was a guide..another a strong fishermen from Bassmasters}They frownded when I woulld pull out the Rooster Tail.All were won with the Rooster Tail;. I've only lost one..I was using a rubber worm that day..DAH

According to the pros why straight spinners are HOT.
1. They are easy to digest..especially in cold weather.

2. If your just fishing for food...alot of other species will attack them. I never knew a local lake had stripers till I accidently caught one on it..I stayed put and caught 7... will post pics of them when I get home.

3. In expensive. 1.99 Cabelas

4. Looks like the real thing..it's easy to match the hatch..the hackle hides the treble hook.

5. Great count down lure. BeforeI had a depth finderI used my Rooster Tail...

6. For schooling bass...you can't miss..should be every cast. Once I caught 23 straight bass with 23 cast.
When they aren't biting good..I spin very slowly right off the bottom.

NEGATIVES
1. Treble hooks are small and a jumping bass can easily get off. Must have a net.

2. They will hang up...1.99 down the drain.

3. Can't fish in weeds.

4. Must use a good spinning rod to get the willow blade turning. and a high speed reel.
NOTE.....This lure is most deadly when fished VERY SLOWLY off the bottom..you must have a good sensitive rodto feel the blade turning and a high speed reel to keep her turning SLOW...This is how they work best..just turning off the bottom .The bass will see an easy prey and clobber it. I use a 6'6" medium Lightening Rod..works great

For bluegills ..you cant beat Panther Martins FLy...or tiny Rooster tails...1/16th

LIke i said...thanks for the thread..I'm packing my medium action spinning rod for this Friday.

Quick Fish Story...
I had struck out and the hot afternoon had come. I was talking wiht an elderly black women who was cane pole fishing for bluegills. I cast my Rooster across a pit.I let her sink about 15 feet. I gave the hard twitch to start the blade . I had one foot in the lake and my face lookng at the lady. I was retrieving very slowly to keep the lure on the bottom. All of a sudden. WHAM! a fish grabbed my line and pulled me into the lake and then snapped my line. I was new to FLorida and just got my eyes openedto serious Hawg fishin..LOL

PS When you get a hit..set the rod tip up straight and hard...Keep serious tention on that line. The small treble hooks are easily thrown out. A little prayer helps too ...