Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 What have you caught the most bass on >

What have you caught the most bass on

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

What have you caught the most bass on

Old 05-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What have you caught the most bass on

That's It!!!!
Why don't we all go jigging Sat. morning and come back with our results. Don't use nothing but a jig this one time. Let's do it!!
Chuck7

HOld on!!! I think I got a bump right now...there it goes ..
Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 AM
G5

Why don't we all go jigging Sat. morning and come back with our results. Don't use nothing but a jig this one time. Let's do it!!
Chuck7
Im in, got plans to be on the water by 0500 saturday morning, ill only have about 3 hours of fishing before i have to start my day, hopefully that will be enough time to prove the jigs a worthy bait. Man i cant wait im all excited thinking about it.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Come to think of it I think I did have one bite before this year. I felt my lure was light for a second and then it hit the bottom....I think[8D]
Anyway...this Sat. is the jig day. I'm pumped too.I haven't fished in 2 weeks.
C7
Old 05-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

hmmm i'll play along too. But can I throw a 1 ouncer witha 6" trailer? I like to scare the little ones so I dont waste my time unhooking them [8D]
Old 05-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Yeah you can play too.I'm expecting a full report on our experiment Sat. afternoon.
Jig color
Jigj Weight
Flipping or casting
Structure type
Water depth
How many fish and size.
I'm expecting 0 fish but promice to fish as though in a tournament, I plan to flip the entire time.
C7
Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 PM

Sorry I didn't respond back...

Yeah Chuck like MT said, for beginners just use the jig like you would a Texas rigged worm. But for me I like to fish as light a one as possible. The slower the fall the better. I don't use pork rinds anymore because they simply dry out after one 80+mph blast down the lake, they have gotten EXPEN$IVE and plastics give you much more choices.

Unless it's really windy I usually fish a 1/4oz in water 6' or less in depth. A 3/8oz in water 6'-10' and 1/2oz for anything any deeper. If it's windy I might switch up too the next heavier size.I have ALOT of plastic, but I have a preference for Strike King 3X stuff because of it's supreme bouyancy which slows the fall that much better and keeps the jig pointing straight up while at rest.

I also use 30# (8# diameter) PowerPro braid which like all braids has no stretch (easy hooksets) and it is INCREDIBLY sensitive. In the 10+ years I have been using braid I have rarely not felt a fish, even light pickups. But I still watch the line, I caught a 26" 9.12#er in March 04 (she had already spawned, would've been in the 12-13 range) in about 5' of water. Somehow she picked up the jig on the initial fall and I never felt her, the line just started moving sideways.

I typically cast the jigs and don't engage the reel until the bait hits the bottom. That way it falls straight down instead in an arch back toward the boat. But as it's free spooling you gotta pay attention for a strike (that's where the braid really helps). A jigNpig is mainly mimicking a crawfish so IMHO there just isn't a more desirable bait too the fish. A crawfish too a bass is like a ribeye too us bassin men!

Colorwise I live in west TN so most of the water I fish is like Rayo Breckenridge used to say, "You could track a billygoat across it". "Muddy" water too us means the instant the bait touches the water it disappears. "Stained" water too us means you can see the bait down too about 1-1.5' and anything we can see below 2' is CLEAR too us!!! In muddy and stained water I like a chartruse/pepper/brown/watermelon colored bait and typically a bright (with chartNpepper bein my fav) trailer. In clear water I like to throw either black/blue or red/blue jigs with dark trailers. Over the last 5 years or so I have refused to buy any jigs but those that rattle. I simply think they work better (like I said the water I fish is usually very dirty) and I have confidence in them.

"Swimmin jigs" wiseI guess a trip to Lake Fork taught me to respect that tactic. When you find fish at a particular depth, especially suspended on verticle cover (trees, dock pilings or parallel too bluffs) you can really mop their heads with a swimmin jig. Everybody else is chunkin crankbaits and spinnerbaits at them, you swim something different by them and they usually will get allover them. The new Chatterbait and Chatterbug type swim jigs are all the rage and MAN do they put out the vibration, I look forward to working them into my arsenal.

Good luck Saturday guys and when you feel em, SET DA DAYUM HOOK!!!
RA
Old 05-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

shhhhhhh!!!!!! keep those chatterbaits a secret!
Old 05-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW a delayed reply but one worth waiting for.This is better than readig the B.A.S.S. magazine. We are getting the best of the best. Thanks for the rattle jig suggestion.I bought 3 new jigs last night .3 Strike King Little Betsy 3/16th ounce. I've not caught my first bass yet on a jig so I figured I'd go light just to catch any bass. It's supposed to rain in Florid aSat. but I will fish hard from daylight to serious rain.
Chuck7
Old 05-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Would this be the secret jig..Josh.?

[align=center]
Strike King® Rattling Pro Model® Jigs
[/align]

This double-barrel rattler has twice the fish-attracting sound! Closely resembles a crawfish, the favorite food of any bass. The Pro Model Jig features Mirage® silicone skirts and an ultra-sharp hook.

From Bass Pro Shop. I'll be ordering some. Appreciate the heads up. Them bad boys look really good. OH MAN ...Just missed one.
C7
Old 05-25-2006, 08:43 AM
G5

the chatter baits are great, too bad they are almost impossible to find, everywhere i have tried to get them is sold out and they are on back order. we put them on the rack and they were sold out oin 2 days. people attacked the racks like bass attack the bait. now who knows when were going to get some more.

Quick Reply: What have you caught the most bass on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.