Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Fishing Stories

Old 04-19-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Fishing Stories

I would like to here some odd fishing stories and will tell you one of mine. Me and my family always go to Helen, Georgia and rent a cabin on a lake and we fish for Bluegills. Well one day I walked down to the dock with my 5 year old brother to go fish. Well he got bored so I took his rod and gave it a cast. By the way he was using one of those Wal-Mart Scooby Do rods. Next thing I knew the rod jerked incredibly hard. So I got to reeling it in and I thought I had a huge catfish or bass but boy was I wrong. I got whatever it was up to the dock and pulled the end of the line out of the water. I happened to pull up a huge Snapping Turtle. My folks up on the porch were just a laughing. I clipped out the hook and sent it on its way. I thought this encouner was kind of odd because I had always heard that snapping turtles lived downI south Georgia. But anyway that was my story and hope to hear some of ya'lls.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fishing Stories

In 1981, When I first came to Florida my favorite fishing hole was also a hang out for perverts. The park was huge though so I thought I could always advoid them. I was on the north end and I had just caught a 2 lb bass when I noticed a black man looking at me from behind a newspaper. I released the fish ..got in my 1971 Checvy truck and drove to the extreme south side. You see I had just come to FLorida ot go to Bible college. I walked about 100 yds down a grassy path through a wooded area with phosphate pits on both sides. Then I took a right and walked down a small hill and barely had enough space to stand. I made a long cast with my white Rooster Tail spinner and happened to look behind me.OH CRAP! Guess who it is standing there with sex in his eyes and here am I only wearing running shorts.? I said a quick one sentence prayer in my heart.. GOD PLEASE HELP ME! There was no place to run. He is now coming down the little hill. I quickly reeled in my lure to the every tip. I opened my eyes wide as not to miss and began screaming and thrashing that Rooster Tailat the man's face. As he went backwards into the nearby thorns I got out of Dodge. From there on I began packing a pistol in my tackle box.
C7

Old 04-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I was in my mid-teens I spent the summer in Ft. Meyers, Florida about three blocks from the Caloosahatche river. I did a lot of night fishing in a park that was also a hang out for guys looking for love. I made a point of fishing on the sea wall with big Buck knife laying open beside me. I never had any problems.

On a different note, I grew up hearing stories that snakes can't bite underwater. I stopped believing it one day in Louisiana when I saw my cousin catch a big water moccasin while fishing on bottom for catfish.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

About 4-5 friends and I were smallmouth fishing on a small river in WV. Some of us were turning over rocks looking for helgramites and i happened to uncover a small (8-10'') garter snake.

After some consideration and consultation from one of my friends, Ikilled the snake and put it on my hook. We then waded out upstream of the rest of the guys and I casted out across the river and fed out line while the snake drifted down to our nearest buddy. It drifted down a little behind him and I set the bail and began to slowly reel it in, closing in on him.

Meanwhile upstream we were playing it totally cool like we were just fishing. As I was reeling it in, the current of course would cause the snake to ride right at the surface of the water (we were all in shorts and t-shirts(hot day)). The victim saw the snake and started yelling to the next guy "Bud!! Bud!!!! Snake!!!!! Snake, Bud!!!!!" and started moving away from it in a hurry. Before the other guy could see the snake, I'd open the bail and let out more line causing the snake to disappear. We did this about half a dozen times. The victim was the only one who saw it.

Finally it was getting too easy to mess with the victim (we chased him all around with that snake)and we just yelled and started laughing, walked down and explained. GOTCHA!!! We all laughed so hard we weredoubled over and still talk about it on occasion.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

OK a real fishing story. Like I said...I came down here in the early 80s to go to Bible College. My wife fell in love with her boss.and moved out leaving me by myself. Up to this time my biggest bass was from Maryland at 14" 2 pounds. I happened to wonder a cross a cow pasture and found a pit hooked to a rather large lake. I noticed the edge had thick hydrilla around the entire pit andI was seeing large swirls in the grass. The Lord blessed me with a great day. First cast. the drag is bustin 20" 4 1/2 pounder. then a 5 1/2pound. 22" then a 3 and a bunch of 2s Finally a farmer came and said I was tresspassing. Right before I left, a Florida cracker arrives with a bass boat .He has a mechanism in his throat because of throat surgery. He befriends me and meets me once a week from then on for a long time. He taught me how to fish in Florida.We caught lots of big bass from then out.God is wonderful. I ended up divorcing my wife and have remarried to a wondeful women who doesn't mind how much I fish or hunt.

God bless,
Chuck7