Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Fishing stories >

Fishing stories

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Fishing stories

Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Fishing stories

I know there been few topics in the past about fishing stories but its been awhile since the last time so i'm sure lot more has happened since then. This is one that happened long time ago.

I was about 8 years old when my dad and I went to the coast for couple of days. We did some fishing off the pier but we didn’t have any luck (someone actual did catch small shark off it the previous day) so we decided to go to near by lake called Lake Lopez. We saw good size buck on the way there standing on side of the road so that was cool. We got the lake and drove around looking for good spot. My dad spotted open water area so we went out there and fished maybe about hour or so. He finally caught good size largemouth bass while I didn’t have any luck. We decided to drive around the lake little bit more to see if we could find another spot. We came across this little gulch about 50 feet inland and about 40 feet across covered in moss/lily pad, and other plant life on both sides but there was clearing in between from all the waves although currently the lake itself was calm in that spot. We saw some Bluegills there. We didn’t have any mealworms and all we had was red worms. We throw on some boppers and cast in. Within about 10 seconds of the first cast, the fish went crazy and we end up catching them as if they were jumping in our nets willingly. After awhile my dad went to the local bait shop and got three cans of mealworms while I stayed there at the place which was actually about 150 feet from the park ranger/security station so they were keeping their eye on me for my dad. He came back and we were must have caught about 30 bluegills by this point and it started to slow down little bit. One bummer thing was because of the moss and plant life on the water, we had to drag the fish through all that muck and several times we snapped our lines. It did look like bopper graveyard out there. I think we must have lost maybe about 6 of ours the whole time we were there. Finally on this one cast. The bopper sat there for actually couple of minutes then next thing I know, it sank down as if a whale was on the hook end. I set the hook and fought, and fought it (at that time, both my dad and I thought maybe it was a largemouth bass) the whole fight looking back was actually for close to minute give or take. I was reeling the fish in and the line snapped! The bopper itself was on the surface but entangled really bad with the muck. I was crying needless to say but I didn’t notice it at the time but my dad did. The bopper was so entangled that the fish couldn’t get away although it was trying. What did my dad to? He took off his shoes and socks, took out his wallet, and went right into that water, muck and all the way up to his chest and got that fish for me. It was the biggest Bluegill I’ve never seen, let alone caught. Found out it wasn’t record but it was record for that lake. We had our picture taken with it.

Now in case of horrible poetic justice gone very, very wrong. We did actually keep come of the good size fish for us to eat but we caught and released the others. We went to the fish cleaning station and when my dad put it on, it was so slimy, the fish end up sliding down the hole into a 55-gallon drum full of fish guts. What did my dad do? He took the drum from underneath that bench and was up to his shoulder in fish guts looking for that fish. I helped me but we never found it lol.

Looking back at it, it was such an awesome thing for my dad did for me not only once, but twice. Its things like that, which will always make him my hero. I would definitely do that for my son, or any children I may have in the future.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fishing stories

By this time, I've been musky fishing for 6 years. In that 6 years, I have caught trees, rocks, sticks, leaves, weeds,cinder blocks, and occasionally the unintentional bass, and a very, very stupid rock bass. The closest I came to a musky was the very seldom follows that the fish so often would do, but I either pulled it out of the water or it swam away. On that eveningof July 3rd, 2008I went fishing on Arrowhead Lake in Woodruff, WI. This was two days after fishing on the same lake with many follows. At 7:18 PM, I casted toward a dock with my blue/tinsel double 10 Cowgirl. As the lure slowly came toward the boat, I realized that there was a musky right behind it! Unfortunately, I was a bit scared and pulled it out of the water. I don't know why, but for that brief moment I was barely in control of my own body, and the lure went back into the water (Thank you God!). The fish came back and took the bait. I set the hook and it was on, no doubt about it. The net was soon in the water, and at 7:20 PM,a 37 1/2 inch musky weighing approximately 15 pounds, was in the boat. After those six long years with more than 250 hours on the water in the sun, heat, cold, rain, bugs, and annoying recreational boaters, I finally caught the fish that I was born to hunt.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

nice fish!....... ill sum my biggest cautch up very vast i went to a fishing durby and there were tons of big fish i threw my spinner out in front of the fish and wam it took it and it was a 24 in rainbow trout i was very happy and later on that day i caught a trout with a tagg in it so i got a fishing pole for free i was very happy
Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

lets make the stories short and sweet though!
last summer i caught 3 catfish in one night
Old 03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

Lol. I've caught 3 catfish in a matter of 5 minutes before.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

but i bet yours werent all 4 foot long either
Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah... fishing stories.

Since im an inshore saltwater kinda guy, ill tell ya about my experiences at the Edisto Marina.

My family owns a beach house at Edisto Beach, SC. We go there every summer for a week. My sisters ex-boyfriend worked at the Edisto Marina, and he gave me awesome connections at that place. He pay for my drinks and hooks, or id give him the money at the cash register and hed pretend to "make change" and he'd give me back the money i just gave him. Since i knew him, the owner of the marina would let me fish off of the walk ways beside the boats and parking spaces. The marina was about 10 foot above the water, and you could drop your rig right beside the pilings. One afternoon at around low tide, I decided to try my luck. The dock was noisy because the local band was playing and there was a huge crowd for the sunset grille, which was right on top of the marina. I had caught a couple of spottail in about an hour. The tide was turning, and the bite was beginning to slack off. My mind drifted into lala land, when out of nowhere my rod was almost yanked out of my hands. I gripped tighter with my cat-like reflexes and held on for dear life. My drag wasn't set for a fish of this size, so it just kept on taking out line. Before i could adjust the drag, he wrapped around one of the pilings and cut my line. I was so upset. I cussed and cussed, and the people above me stared. I looked up at them and they quickly turned their heads. I rigged up again as fast as I could, and dropped the mud minnow beside the piling one more time. I turned my drag so that no man alive could pull line out. Almost as soon as I dropped it in, my line took off again. I was completely in utter shock. It was impossible that this thing was pulling out drag. Thinking of only one thing to do, I grabbed the line with my hand and wrapped it around my arm. Big mistake. The line began to cut my arms and the pain was intense. But, I pulled whatever it was slowly up to the surface. I saw a golden shadow begin to appear, and before long I was staring at a redfish head literally the size of a football. I could see my other hook in his mouth. His head was on the surface for a good 3 or 4 seconds, and with a shake of his head, he snapped the line. "The one that got away."
Old 03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

So what you're saying is, you caught THREE 48"+ catfish in ONE night. That's one hell of a fish story
Old 03-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what you're saying is, you caught THREE 48"+ catfish in ONE night. That's one hell of a fish story
its a true one
Old 03-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

its a true one

This post is nothing without pictures. I would bet that you have never caught a fish that is 48 inches long. If you caught a 48" long catfish with a girth of 20", which is small by the way, you would be holdinga new state record.

Enjoy the show.

Quick Reply: Fishing stories

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.