Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Need crash course on Ice Fishing... >

Need crash course on Ice Fishing...

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Need crash course on Ice Fishing...

Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need crash course on Ice Fishing...

After doing significant damage to our deer and caribou supply, my wife wanted some fish. So she went to the store, picked up some perch and I cooked it for her for dinner last night. She absolutely loved it (surprise surprise) and has since requested that I start ice fishing to catch perch. As you can imagine, it took a great deal of convincing on her part to coerce me into doing this... but here's the problem. With the exception of going with a couple of buddies when I was young, I have no idea how to do this (yes this is a little embarassing given my location). Could somebody give me a quick lowdown?

The hole thing, I think I have down... You drill through and use the slotted spoon to keep the ice out in order to avoid the hole freezing up again while fishing.

But, how many holes do I make? How many rods do I use (obviously there may be local regulations effecting this)? For perch, what do I use for bait? What about those little strike indicator thingies... are they needed? As far as location, I am going to assume that if I see a used hole in the area or if there are fisherman around, there's a decent chance I'm in a decent location...

OK, enough of me telling you how much I don't know... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 02-25-2006, 03:28 AM

Default RE: Need crash course on Ice Fishing...

Every icefisherman will probably give you different advice.
As for holes if the holes you are fishing are not producing try some more a little deeper or shallower. If you can find some green weeds.
For bait in Canada minnows seem to be the most popular. Small jigs tipped with maggots or mealworms will also produce.
The small spring type strike indicators that fit on the tip of your rod help when the perch are biting lightly.
Fishfinders will tell you if & when fish are in the area. They will also tell you if the fish are near the bottom or suspended.

Good Luck
Old 02-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will definitely have to check the regulations. We can use 2 fishing rods at one time and there is no limit for perch, but that’s here. As for bait, try minnows and I use treble hooks. They work great in holding the minnows when fish. You can use existing holes as long as the holes aren’t frozen over to bad. It’s not really that hard and after a couple of times you’ll be a pro... Good Luck...
Old 02-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Mustad I fish for perch and bluegills/ sunnies and crappie almost every day all winter. If you are after perch then a small 30"-36"jigging pole with a spinning reel with 6-8 pound test is the way to go. I use weighted perch bibits in assorted colors as the lure. They are small leaded single hooks that are painted and they sink back real fast. Run them to the bottom and shake them a few times and you will feel the bump and set the hook. You don't need to use any bait with them. The color usually will seal the deal and it is good to have a bunch to try. I have real good luck on brown, silver, red, pink, chatreuse, and orange bibits. I fish Champlain but there are some great perch grounds on Magog too. Some if not all of the ponds and lakes up where you are will have them. The best thing would be to have an experianced fisherman up there take you out and show you the ropes.If there are guys pulling perch it is good to give them a little room when you make your holes. I like a 4 1/2" manual ice auger for perch. I use a 6" power auger for sunnies and crappie. I usually cut a hole or two until I find them then cut about 4-6 more in a circle around the spot. When the bite drys up in one hole switch to another and try to follow the school. I won't be fishing until Tuesday this week because my daughter is up from Virginia for a visit. Good luck....CI
Old 02-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys,

I'm locked and loaded. Will head out either tomorrow, but more likely Monday. Will let you know how it comes out.

Cheers,
Old 02-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Say what kind of perch are you fishing white perch or yellow
perch ? You didn't say I like fishing white perch. For them I like
to drill in 18 to 28 feet of water. I usaully use a 8 to10 inch
auger. Some lakes have no limit but, most have a 25 fish limit
here. With five line limit, that I like to keep about 20 feet to
15 feet apart to help hold the school when they come through.
I normally keep my line clusterd in somewhat of a square one in
the middle and two on each side ( like five on a dice ).Live bait
and I keep a small rod for jigging to help bring in the school. I
commonly use a swedish pimple with a small piece of cut bait
on it. Gold color for clear water and silver for murky water.
And watch out on the ice here it has been bad this year ! 16 inches
one place three or four the next, and alot of open water. You
should always check the law book for the water your on.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

We are fishing for yellow perch here but the white perch are fairly new to the lake. I rather eat the whites and from a fight standpoint they are tops. The southern end of Champlain is where the whites first appeared so they are the largest bio mass down there. I am at the northern end and we are seeing them become more common. It is funny but people around here think the whites are trash and only want the yellow perch. There is no limit on either on Lake Champlain and it is pretty easy to fill a bucket or two or more of fat yellow pounders. When we have fish frys in the summer I always target the white perch. Right now we are getting yellow perch in 10-25 feet of water.