Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 does anyone river fish? >

does anyone river fish?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

does anyone river fish?

Old 02-08-2006, 05:18 PM

Default RE: does anyone river fish?

well since i have a few miles of the apple river twisting here on my land at home here in IL one of the best bass fishing rivers in IL and live only 30 minutes from the missippi river most of my fishing is in the rivers.For me any way on the apple river the big bass hang out in the deeper rocky parts in the late summer and shallows with lots of rock and cover in the spring.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 PM
emo

Check out Mark's cat on www.ihunt.ws
Old 02-09-2006, 05:26 PM

I have fished rivers all my life. One of the best times to go is in the middle of the winter. Last weekend we took the canoe out to one of the only big deep wintering holes on this stretch of stream. When we found the bass, they were concentrated and hungary. In 2 hours 3 of us caught 40 bass keeping 5 largemouth over 12". The rest were smallies. It sure is a blast and breaks the winter douldroms.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:46 PM

yup, i fish the St. Johns river here in sanford fl.as i live a mile from it and fish it regularly..some of the best bass, speck, bream and catfishing in the country..
Old 02-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PSEsilverhawk55

not really sure but if i had to guess it prolly be a creek type river(wabash river)

reallly the only thing that i have cought in there is flatheads, perch, channel cats, and gar.
whenwe go iit is mainly for flatheads, and channel cats, so anyhting yall could provideas where to find them and suchwould be appriciated
PSE, i fish the Wabash river here in Indiana. Its full of cats/perch/gar/carp and there are a few walleye and smallies in there too, but they are tough to catch in there. I mainly fish for flatheads, i go for the big boys just for fun as i have no interest in eating anything anymore that comes from these rivers. When fishing for flatheads i like to find deeper pockets of water with rocky bottoms, i also like to fish in areas where calm water meets up with water that has a little current to it. Flatheads like to hold up under rocks in areas like this and eat bait as it flows down the current. Structure is key.

My favorite time to fish for the flatheads though is after a few days of heavy rain after the river has risen a lot, so much so that the water is over the banks and unfishable in most places. Most people wont fish on nights like these and think im crazy when i say im going. What I do is head to a creek that enters into the river. I set up right where the creek meets with the river, all that extra water backs up into the creek and the fish head in there to get out of the high fast moving water and they feed. I normally use live creek chubs as bait that i get from a creek at my grandfathers house and i always fish for them at night, i'll tie on an egg sinker and then a split shot and cast it maybe 15 feet from shore right where the 2 waters meet. It gets them every time. 2 years ago i took my wife with me and did this, within 10 minutes i had a nice 8 pound flathead, but that was nothing compared to what i took 30 minutes later. I hauled in a 46 pound flathead, my biggest fish ever. It was great, my wife FREAKED out and could only say "oh my god". Try this stuff out and if you need any more ideas let me know. Oh, and make sure you have a heavy pole with heavy line. I use a 7 foot rod and 50 pound spiderwire.