Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 the kaskaskia river problem with the fish >

the kaskaskia river problem with the fish

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

the kaskaskia river problem with the fish

Old 09-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Default the kaskaskia river problem with the fish

Down on the kaskaskia below the damn the big heads are all schooled up we went out and got 14 and it from one school we just kept passing over the top of them and they would resurface and get another in the boat

two weeks prior me and my 2 buddies were shooting silvers out of the air that is some real fun we got 6 but only arrowed 2 that is some fun

my buddies ran up to peoria for a goose hunt and they said that the silvers were all over the place so we are trying to plan a trip to go shoot some out of the air and since deer season is coming up ill need to find a spot up there for us to hunt and then bowfish at night

MIKE 618-920-1990
Old 09-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: the kaskaskia river problem with the fish

ill need to find a spot up there for us to hunt and then bowfish at night
Now that is a dream hunt.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, Nice to hear you got into to some more big heads below the dam. My question is were you shooting during the day or night. I went down there about a month ago at night and only got one and that was up in the river channel. Had theplace to our self's. I am wanting to get out one more time before hunting season, and was just wondering the conditions down there, as that is the closest place for us to go...johnny b.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Just adding tht we've been getting some good shooting around New Athens for the jumpers as well. My bro shot a big one outof the air last week freakin thing spooled him and took my arrow. Had to run back to the dock and drive to Old School Archery for more arrows, cause we didn't want to quit.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 AM

The last time I went down below the dam the an Army corps Officer told me to leave, he stated that bowfishing was not allowed in their recreation area of jurisdiction. He also said they will be posting signs banning bowfishing up to the swinging bridge. I've got a question for you Mike about the New Athens area, are there any bigheads in the oxbows, Richland creek, or Silver creek ??? I know that there are plenty of silver carp in theoxbows as I've had over a half dozen fish jump in my boat.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:28 PM

johnny b it was during the afternoon like around 2:30 3 o'clock during the week is better there are fewer of them people that are complaning we are shooting their fish and heck i offer any1 fish and they all say they dont want them plus its "supposibly" illegal to bowfish down there but the ARMY-CORP, CONSERVATION OFFICERS, NOR THE MAYOR care about the law of NO SNAGGING and they all turn there heads but i guess its ok to a state law in their eyes as long as its not a city ordinence i just laugh at them and make them explain the law and i have been ran off about 10 or 11 times and not 2 rangers have stated the same law and then i laugh again and they get frustrated and walk away but HENKLES BAIT SHOP just opened up and i am talking to him to talk to some people about getting this worked out and if it does get shut down then i will try to get it changed over and over till they either tell me not to come back or they give me permision so shoot them big heads cause i love to shoot them and i cant wait also check the kentucky story

i have never fished down there but it seems like i might have to soon i work midnights so im always up to shoot some fish call me