Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Using a Fish finder.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Using a Fish finder.

Hey guys,
I just bought and recieved one of those portable fish finders from Cabelas about 3 weeks ago. After fooling with all the controls I finally figured it out. I blocked out all the weedy stuff and small fish. I was drifting 2 rubber worms. I had always thought that fish hang out in about 8-10 foot of water. I was wrong. My depth was 17 foot and the fish everywhere seemed to be suspended at 13 foot. My divers wouldn't go that deep so I tied on a rattle trap.................and actually started catching fish. I like my depth / finder. I wa sbeginnning to think it was a waste of money.
Chuck
Old 07-24-2005, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using a Fish finder.

dont block those weeds! I'd be willing to be the depth of most of those weeds were aorund 13' one of the best places to catch a slew of bass is at the end of a long point. idle or use the electric and move up the point until you see a weedline. Thats the place they gang up to feed.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Using a Fish finder.

I wish you were here to help me. Which screen allows you do deal with the weeds .Is it the Bottom screen or the Filter Screen. I'm still not real good at it yet. Josh, the reason I blocked the weeds is because this lake is over come with hydrilla. The entire lake is a giant mass of hydrilla. In most parts of the lake in 8 feet of water only 2 feet is visible. In this situation I use top water.
I am open for advice from anyone. Especially if you have one of these..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012236014302a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3Aha sJS=+&QueryText=bottom+line+side+finder&_D ARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&Go.x=17&Go.y=9&N=4887&N tk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Nt t=bottom+line+side+finder&noImage=0&return Page=search-results1.jsp

Thanks Chuck