Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 talk about a surprise.. >

talk about a surprise..

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

talk about a surprise..

Old 07-23-2005, 08:54 PM

Default talk about a surprise..

Me and my tourney partner were out pre-fishing today for a tournament and we went into a back inlet off the Mississippi River where a creek flows in. It had stormed hard the whole nite and part of the inlet was filled with cold and muddy, so we were fishing where the clearer, warmer water met the chocolate milk like muddy water. I had my 1/2 oz white spinnerbait in the water to see how it looked in the water, and i looked up to say something. Right then, a fish came flying out of nowhere and glommed that spinnerbait. I set the hook and free spooled a few feet of line out to it. Turns out i had a nice pike on. I got him, was 27", 7 lbs. Great pike.

Was a weird day. It was thundering and lightning like no other until about 10 am when we hit the water. There was a Wal Mart BFL event on the river today so we had about 10-15 boats around us. We fished the same bank anyway and got a 4 lber on a Scum Frog in some moss. We figure the tourney boats just fished the edge of the moss instead of the middle. Hit a school of smallmouth that wouldn't take anything but the shad they were chasing to the surface. Missed one on a worm, so i reeled up in disgust to fix it and as i was bringing it back fast i had two smallies come up and take shots on it. A guy we talked to said he had 7 flukes destroyed by bass that struck short. Just an odd day indeed.

Some good news on the tourney thing-ISG has accepted us onto their pro staff and the crap is going to be finalized shortly. If we attain some incentives, we'll get full sponsorship.Mepp's turned us down outright, X-toolz wants to talk to us. There was one more company but i forgot who it was now. My partner and I just hope we get in more than a couple tourneys this year yet to get some more credibility for sponserships. I hit up my dad's company, and he's writing a check for $500 which should help us offset fuel costs and entry fees considerably.

slayer
Old 07-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: talk about a surprise..

just a little tip that i learned the hard way... when you encounter those short striking fish, not much works better at hooking them than running 3 hooks in the bait like you see in the wal mart sporting good section. It looks horrible, but it will at least hook them!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:41 AM

Default RE: talk about a surprise..

yeah. I figured since i was prefishing, i didn't need to be sticking every fish. come tourney time, if the same thing happens, im going to snell my hooks and add another smalle hook towards the rear of all my soft plastics.

slayer