Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

baitcasting reels

Old 06-07-2005, 03:08 PM

Default baitcasting reels

i have used open faced reels all my life but now that i am starting to get more into bass fishing i bought a Quantum Accurist reel and a 7' rod and i just can't seem to get the hang of using it. i get tons of birds nest and my flipping leaves a lot to be desired. any tips or tricks that i should be tring?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: baitcasting reels

I actually use alot shorter rod for control. Here are some suggestions.

With a lure on your rod or what ever you are using do this...
AHold your rod out straight
B,Push the botton on your reel. It should take about 3 good seconds before the lure hits your floor.1 thousand 2 thousand 3 thousand

If it's quicker than this turn your right large screw to tighten your spool unti you get about a 3 second drop.I have 3 Quantums. Once you get her close make final adjustments with the drag selector on the left side of the spool. Alot of reels don't even have the drag selector on the left.Heavier lures are easy to practice with at first. Like a large rubber worm Texas rigged.

Once you get there...it 's time to cast. I went through quite a few spools of line to at first

If over your head is 12 o'clock you would release a spinning rod at about 11:00 . Your bait caster has to be released much earlier, about 2:00 in back of you. I would suggest casting very easy at first.Each bait caster is diffeent.They also vary with the lure size, But at around 2:00 o'clock the cast begins and it's a SLOW follow through.Not a quick wrist action like a spinning rod. Practice casting short range in your drive way. Once you get thje feel slowly go for distance. Make SMALL adjustments on that right screw. Al little turn goes a long ways. Remember what Gundigest said. ONCE the lure stops at the target put your right thumb on the spool in case the spool wantsd to keep going/ thus a back lash. In time you'll be real good.It's all about feel.
Chuck
Old 06-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Check the spool tension and make sure it is not to loose. To test this press the button to release the spool and let the lure fall about 5-6 feet and hit the floor of the boat, your spool should stop somewhat quickly and not keep spinning. Then make sure your magnet is set as high as it will go (as you get better you can take your magnet down). Make sure you put your thumb on the spool before your lure hits the water (Very Important). Don't try to cast Fast and Long, slow it down and don't go for distance, after you get better and take your magnet down you will get greater distances. Lighter is harder to throw and don't cast into the wind (this will give you problems). On the heavy lures casting with too much power for distance will give you a mess to. A slow steady cast from the side is easier than over head.

If you ever get a second casting reel and rod the Cabelas Prodigy casting reel is a geat reel and very easy to cast it has a cintrifical and magnetic break and for an extra $60 you can get the XML rod ($140 rod) in a combo.

Just a hint if you put 20 pound Power Pro on your bait caster it has 6 pound diameter and has no memory, so unlike mono if you bend it in a rat nest it won't stay that way. It will make getting the rat nests you do get easier to get out.

That is all I can think of right now. Good luck
Old 06-07-2005, 04:28 PM

Make sure you put your thumb on the spool before your lure hits the water (Very Important).
why? if i don't will it cause backlash?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

If you are just starting it is a good idea cause most folks cast too hard. Once you ge tthe feel you don't even got to touch that spool .This is just a precaution to keep you from having a backlash. Slow and easy at first will help you alot.Start the cast in back of your head like throwin ga football.But SLOWWW and easy.
Chuck
Old 06-08-2005, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

GD and chuck I couldnt have explained it better lol I was gonna try though. I learned to throw a bait caster on my own without anyones advice needless to say I went through alot of line. I will say this though put about 1 oz sinker on the your line and turn your the brake or knob on the right of the reel up to where the 1 oz sinker barely pulls any line off the reel when the free spool is tripped and cast in your backyard like this and as you get the hang of it you cant loosen the brake as you go, and dont forget to use your thumb to stop the spool when the sinker is about to hit the ground. lighter and limper lines like berkley XL in 8 or 10 lb test are more forgiving with bait casters then heavier lines. good luck
Old 06-08-2005, 08:07 AM

GREAT ANSWER CHUCK!!!
I personally use both spinning and baitcasters...each for different purposes. Do not discount spinning reels just because you are bass fishing!
Baitcasters take a bit of getting used to. The quality of the baitcaster will make a big difference in performance. Spinning reels are easier to get quality performance from at a lower price. Baitcasters...not so. One thing I look for in a baitcaster is a roller bearing!!!! like the Shimano Curado BSF...the SF stands for super free...I use it almost exclusively. Some baitcasters are so very sensitive to setting the brake, the drag, some even have a casting dial (Diawa Procaster for example)...too many damned settings that are too sensitive to different weight lures etc. You spend more time resetting your reel than fishing. And god forbid you may have a sloppy cast that falls short and splashes hard against the water...what a mess that makes! If you stick with reels like the Curado BSF (has to have the BSF they also make a standard Curado that does not perform as well...Pflueger, Ardent, and Quantum make a good reel with a roller bearing as well) or other reel that has the roller bearing you will find them not near as sensitive to settings. (though still more so than a spinner) The roller bearing makes it easier on short distance casts and flipping. You will find yourself getting a lot less nests and messes. I hate spending all my time setting up my reel!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Another tip, I am right handed so I use left handed bait casters. This is so I cast with my right hand and reel with my left, just like a spinning rod. It is much easier and I like it better. I see a lot of people are starting to do this and not switch hands.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Amen ...Another reason I love Trilene 10 lb. test I need all the forgiving I can get.
Chuck
Old 06-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Dominant Buck

One last important tip... I fish from a short jon boat. Make sure what is behind you .Since you are starting your cast at 2:00 o'clock I have got some horrible back lashes by snagging another rod I left sticking up to far.Horrible mess. I'm usually careful and have not hooked any one in 40 years but I had an acciden tabout 2 weeks ago. I had a 3/8 ounce Rooster tail on. I saw fish busting in the far distance. With a strong cast I could get them. I reared back and cast hard. I hung up on something and got a wicked back lash.I turned around and my son was holding his eye. I was extremely shaken. Thank God the hook simply fell out. I had mised his eye about 1 ". I will never cast again unless I know it'100% safe. I rejoice it wasn't worse than it was. Being a Christian he didn't cuss me out or kick my butt. LOL I was very scared.
Chuck

Quick Reply: baitcasting reels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.