Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

baitcasting reels

Old 06-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: baitcasting reels

Usually I push the botton and pull the line out easy until it stops. Being 50, my eyes are poor. I generally just pinch the small loops of line and pull straigth up. And litttle by little the line comes out of the mess. Sometimes a little loop is what is holding up the works. I then take a worm hook and pull the little loops loose. A back lash usually takes me about 4-5 minutes to fix this way. I do carry an extra reel in case I can't fix it or extra line.
Chuck
Old 06-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

My best way to get backlashes out is to hand it to my wife. She has a lot more patience than I do.. I don't get many anymore but now and then it happens to all of us. I just use a line pick and work away at it. If its to bad I just cut the line off and respool.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:57 AM

i can't stand the things...yea a guy with a bait casting reel may out cast a guy using a spinning rod..but for me..it's the guy with the spinning rod having less problems..i got my dad a bait casting reel for his birthday(shimano)...he loves the thing ALOT..he used to never be able to get it down right..but now he's got it right and loves it..so..if you do consider getting a bait casting reel..get a good name..shimano,quantum,ambassatuer, etc....o and after reading some books they do say that every baitcasting reel will have backlash but don't get discouraged..but for me it's spinning reels ALL THE WAY!!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:16 PM

I still have the occaisional backlash every now and then, but i like the control and distance i can get with casting reels. you can't flip and pitch with spin tackle. however, spinning tackle defintely has its place in the type of fishing i do. For example, skipping and finesse stuff. if you're a fisherman who refuses to use one or the other, you're really missing out.