HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - baitcasting reels
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 08:07 AM
robdar

Default RE: baitcasting reels

GREAT ANSWER CHUCK!!!
I personally use both spinning and baitcasters...each for different purposes. Do not discount spinning reels just because you are bass fishing!
Baitcasters take a bit of getting used to. The quality of the baitcaster will make a big difference in performance. Spinning reels are easier to get quality performance from at a lower price. Baitcasters...not so. One thing I look for in a baitcaster is a roller bearing!!!! like the Shimano Curado BSF...the SF stands for super free...I use it almost exclusively. Some baitcasters are so very sensitive to setting the brake, the drag, some even have a casting dial (Diawa Procaster for example)...too many damned settings that are too sensitive to different weight lures etc. You spend more time resetting your reel than fishing. And god forbid you may have a sloppy cast that falls short and splashes hard against the water...what a mess that makes! If you stick with reels like the Curado BSF (has to have the BSF they also make a standard Curado that does not perform as well...Pflueger, Ardent, and Quantum make a good reel with a roller bearing as well) or other reel that has the roller bearing you will find them not near as sensitive to settings. (though still more so than a spinner) The roller bearing makes it easier on short distance casts and flipping. You will find yourself getting a lot less nests and messes. I hate spending all my time setting up my reel!