Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Dura-Coat Camo

Old 04-20-2005, 07:57 AM

Default RE: Dura-Coat Camo

I agree, painting them makes them difficult to sell. For the majority of my guns, I don't look at them as investments - they're just tools. I take good care of my tools, but residual value isn't important to me. I'm not convinced dipping increases the value of the gun, other than in the owners mind. What percentage of the dipping cost do they recover when they sell these dipped guns? If the purpose of dipping is to increase value, why not gold plate them? I maintain my arguement that the purpose of camo is to break up the pattern - nothing more, nothing less and if I do that for $5 I've acomplished the same thing as someone spending $200. I can put the $195 into a better scope, ammo, new boots, etc.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:07 AM
bigcountry

rick, alot of us, I know I do really admire a nice looking weapon. I know mossy likes a nice neat professional looking pattern. I am not a big fan of camo guns other than turkey hunting and duck hunting.

Us who enjoys a nice deep blueing and nice wood grain are not as rare as you think. I would bet you are an extreme minority. Nothing wrong with a little vanity.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

What's the purpose of camo'ing a rifle?
For a deer rifle, there is no purpose in camo'n it. It's absolutely pointless and does not matter one bit. BUT it's what I wanted, so that's all the justification needed. ( I was going for the A-Bolt Mountain Ti look)

You can do it for $200, or you can do it for $5
The price to camo the stock is actually about $75, they charge about $180 for an entire gun. I just can bring myself to spray paint anythng but lawn chairs.

I assure you the amount of money you choose to spend doesn't make any difference to the animals we hunt
I agree 100%.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rick_reno

I agree, painting them makes them difficult to sell. For the majority of my guns, I don't look at them as investments - they're just tools.
I worship my guns as I do my tools being a machinist, and I can tell you none of my guns or my tools would ever see one ounce of spray paint. As a side note, I NEVER sell any guns, period. If I buy a gun, it is a purchase that I think about seriously and wouldnt buy something I didnt plan on keep forever, so resale is not a basis for my decision. I look at my gun collection as my pride and joy, the only thing of any real value besides property, houses etc. that I will pass on to my kids. When I die, I dont want my children/ heirs to look at anything I owned and say "OMG what the hell is this?" .............just pride I guess!!! My guns are the MOST IMPORTANT thing I own!!!!!!!!!!!!