Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Model 700 Stainless Steel Rifles >

Model 700 Stainless Steel Rifles

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Model 700 Stainless Steel Rifles

Old 03-20-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Model 700 Stainless Steel Rifles

I'm looking to buy a Model 700 stainless steel rifle (300 Winchester) for a fall caribou
hunt.

The Remington catelog/web page has two new models; the SPS Stainless that retails for $613 and the XCR which retails for $893. As new models, they have not made it to the local guns shops where I can see a side by side comparison nor have I been able to find a salesman that knows what the actual difference is between them.

From what I read on the web page, the SPS Stainless is a newer version of the 700 BDL Stainless Steel and the XCR has an improved corrosion resistance stainless steel and a stock with a better grip.

Does anybody have any information on what the differences are between the two new models and possible the differences between the new SPS Stainless and the older BDL Stainless?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Model 700 Stainless Steel Rifles

SPS- Special Purpose Synthetic, Stock.
SS Bead Blasted Barrel, Action.
Internal parts are coated.
R3, Recoil Pad {Limb Saver}
DM
Sling Swivels

XCR- EXTREME CONDITIONS RIFLE,
TriNyte System, for corrosion resistance.
Laden, Synthetic Stock.
R3, Recoil Pad {Limb Saver}
Hogue, Overmolding on stock
Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 PM

147MULIE,

FYI

If you want a REMINGTON model 700 ss 300 saum, go to GUN BROKER .COM they have a few for $449.00.

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Remington 700 SPS stainless in 7mm-08 Rem. It seems to me like it is nothing more than a 700 BDL s.s. but is bead blasted and it too includes a R3 [limbsaver] recoil pad. It shoots excellent and looks good I would highly recommend one they also have 24" barrels in standard calibers and 26" barrels in magnum calibers.I could not justify the additional expense for the teflon coating on the XCR my SPS cost me 470.00. I have seen a few on guns america. I hope this helps chad
Old 03-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

i didn't know you could get a 700 SPS Stainless in an ultramag? I know the CM SPS is available in 300 ultra... have they changed this since the beginning of the year?

bought a 700 SPS... cannibalized it... for the action... good quality machine work... typical remington synthetic stock, R3 pad rocks... finish on the metal was pretty rough prior to the bluing... maybe the SS is a bit better...
Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Spike

This is actually the Authentic FFL Package which has assisted a large number of individuals along the total region obtain approved without delay or perhaps refusal. Check here : federalfirearmslicenseffl.com/ for there are various copycat "Federal Firearms Permission Kits" available on the net, yet not one of them are because comprehensive because that one.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

i am a xrc owner. the main difference between the xcr series and the stainless rifles is a special coating. the xcr rifles are stainless steel, infact they are the exact same rifles as the stainless untill they get there coatings. the reason for this is that firearms stainless steel lacks nickel so its not the same 18/8 stainless you will find in your forks and spoons. firearms stainless is much tougher but as stainless gets tougher its corrosion resistance goes down. theres alot of hunters that dont know this. they buy stainless rifles expecting them to be maintenance free. remington has stepped up and developed a coating to increase the corrosion resistance of firearms stainless. thats basically what the xcr is. if you do infact buy either of these rifles take note that not all components are coated or stainless.

the specific xcr model that i own is the xcr long range. it uses the black trinyt coating and the 40x trigger. the trigger is not stainless, its blued carbon steel and it does need oiling especially if you plan to submerge the rifle in water. i found this out the hard way after swimming across a river chasing feral hogs. the floorplate latch is also blued carbon steel and also needs oiling. if you get the xcr II, it uses a nickel plated trigger and requires less maintenance but it does have a blued floorplate latch. the original xcr uses a nickel plated trigger and nickel plated floor plate latch.

most if not all stainless remingtons (non xcr models) use nickel plated triggers and floor plate latches. some of the early sps stainless models have a blued carbon steel magazine box, newer models are nickel plated.

parts that are not stainless or nickel plated on all remingtons are the springs, bolt head and ejector plunger. despite what it may seem, the main bolt body is made from 3 pieces and welded or pressed into one piece. on the stainless and xcr models the bolt handle and bolt shank are stainless but the main head with the locking lugs is carbon steel on ALL remington rifles.

so what do i think of my xcr? trigger aside i have yet to find a spot of rust and this rifle has had a few dips in the river, has seen its fair shair of snow and ice and has been coated in early morning dew more times then some of my rifles that ive owned much longer. accuracy is typical remington, which is awsome if you just try a few loads and find whats best. function has been a little bit spotty when the rifle was new but that was fixed once the magazine spring tension loosened up. the trigger is imo awsome but now that ive had a good 3000 rounds through it i feel like i might move on to something better. ballance is good for a rifle its size. the supercell recoil pad works awsome. the bell and carlson medalist stock my rifle carries is good but id like to maybe move onto a mcmillan a3-sporter or a whiskey 3. overall i would give the xcr long range a 8 out of 10