Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

25-06 corlokts

Old 12-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default 25-06 corlokts

Anyone use these in the 25-06 for deer hunting? I am thinking of loading Nosler 100 grain partitions for hunting loads but wondered how the Remingtons work.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:42 PM

Default RE: 25-06 corlokts

I have used the 25-06 for 29 years. I have loaded just about everything out there. Most of the bullets are pretty accurate. But the key to the accuracy is to NOT load them to the max. Back them down 200 to 300 FPS and you will have a great deal more success. I have used the Remington Corelokts and they are OK. The Nosler Ballistic Tips are dynamite on thin skinned game - deer, antelope. If you are using it on larger game like elk, you need to use the partition bullet so that you get deep penetration. Also, since the 25-06 is a just a little light for elk, shot placement is critical.

Of all the ammo I've used, the Winchester Western PP is the most accurate. However, you can't buy the bullets from Winchester; they are proprietary and WW won't sell them as components.

Remember, slow your loads down and you will have a great deal better accuracy.

Good luck,

SD Shooter
Old 12-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks. Nice to hear from another SD hunter. I just got back from there last week. Shot a couple more does north of Wall. I just picked up this 25-06 at Scheels in Sioux Falls. This is my second one though. I always load the 100 grain bullets back a little. Not over 3100 Max.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:32 AM

Any deer I've shot with my 25.06 using the Remingtons dropped almost in their tracks. I prefer 120 g. loads for deer and black bear.

Best Wishes
Old 12-13-2004, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had 5 rifles chambered in 25.06 and still currently have 2 so needless to say i love that caliber. My experience has been a little different in that everyone i've loaded for always hit the sweet spot with a nearly full house of powder and loaded near or around max. I've never loaded or used nothing under 115grs in my 25.06's. The 3 bullets i'm currently loading/using are the 115gr Partition, Hornady 117gr btsp, and the Speer 120gr spitzer. I've thought about trying some of the cor-lokts because the price is good compared to others i just haven't done it. I have shot them in my 30.06 in the past with excellent results in both accuracy and performance on game. I really don't think the cor-lokts deserve alot of the negative comments they recieve and if the truth be known they have probably taken more game than any other bullet out there.