Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Corlokts, I knew they were cheap... >

Corlokts, I knew they were cheap...

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Corlokts, I knew they were cheap...

Old 10-01-2002, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Corlokts, I knew they were cheap...

Went to the range the other day to test some modifications on a swede, shooting 140 gr 6.5mm corlokts sitting on top of I4350 and H380, both half a gr under max, and get this out of 40 rds, at least five of the jackets just shredded right off the core, I was shooting at paper backed by cardboard. I knew they were cheap, I didn't think they were that cheap though. I'm glad I was only shooting paper and not a deer. Just reinforces the selection of Hornady or sierra for my hunting loads. The guy next to me didn't believe until he saw me pull several pieces of copper jacket from my target. I didn't think that I missed that many times considering I was averaging 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups with the rest.

Edited by - thndrchiken on 10/01/2002 16:36:16
Old 10-01-2002, 10:13 PM

Default RE: Corlokts, I knew they were cheap...

TC,
You jut scared the chit out of me!I just loaded up 20 rounds of 150 GR PSP corelocks for my Krag.They group really nice; 1.5MOA.
Were your bullets round nose or pointy?
Frank
Old 10-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

PSP's, they were 6.5mm, I haven't noticed this happening with the 165gr .308's that I bought, but then again I really haven't had a chance to put many through my 06, except for load development. The thing is like I said in the post, the load using I4350 was grouping and average of 1/2 to 3/4 inch, using winchester brass and wlr primers. The H380 loads were grouping somewhat larger but with the right powder/primer combo would probably tighten it up some. Now I'll only use the Corlokts for the range and not for game.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:38 PM

The corelokts might not be designed for the higher speeds. it may be loaded under max but still to fast for that bullet, especially if your barrel has a very fast twist rate

propmahn
you can never have too many guns
Old 10-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had any problems with Sierra or Hornady bullets before this, the load for both were 1/2 gr under, I don't have a chrony but the gun is a Husqvarna commercial with a 26" barrel and a 1 in 9 twist. I estimate both loads to be around 2450 fps. Which is
lower than Remingtons published ballistic table by a full 100 fps.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:20 PM

Excuse my ignorance in rifle reloading as I only reload shot shells, but I'm now very concerned about Cor-lokt selection for deer hunting this year. I shoot a Remington 700 stainless in a 7m-08 and have been shooting 140 gr. Core lokt pointed soft point. I have been extremely happy with the groups I have been shooting.

I realize these are factory loads, but do I need to look at a another cartridge option?

Any input is very much appreciated.

-MC
Old 10-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personnally I would not by any Remington factory loaded ammo, the main reason I bought the corlokt bullets was that they were cheap and would serve for practice and load development. For hunting, I would prefer to use Hornady Amax, SST or interlok. From Sierra I would use GameKings or Varminter. I fell that Remington's quality problems are too great to be able to confidently use them on game, I think that if the jacket separates on the range shooting at paper and cardboard that they are not worthy to use on game which deserve a quick clean kill. Wait a minute, check that, I would by it, only to make brass with though.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

thndrchicken-Remington does not use corelokts in all their factory loads.They also load partitions and a-frames.When you say you would never buy factory remington loads are you suggesting that these bullets are defective as well?
Old 10-14-2002, 06:37 PM

I have used Corlokts on deer for the past 5 years and they have never failed. A deer is not that tough an animal. I used to use partitions but started using the corlokts because i feel that they are plenty tough enough for deer. I was using them in a 7mm rem mag.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have used the 6.5 corlokts 140 grs. for several years now at max loads and never had a problem with them coming apart in a ruger mark11 in 260 cal.Not saying that you didn't.Have taken many deer with the corlokts with out any problems,I don't think they are cheap just think some of the other brands are over priced.
Question is,is the ones you are shooting have 2 conulures on them?

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg

Quick Reply: Corlokts, I knew they were cheap...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.