Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Simmons 8-point

Old 10-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Simmons 8-point

I plan on getting one for marlin 917vs that i will be buying soon, has anyone ever had a 4-12x40mm scope? any problems? i know its not a top of the line scope but its just going to be for plinkin on gophers. also i saw some pics of some and on the simmons site they have high tactial adjustment knobs where on other sites ive seen them without the tactical knobs. is this a different years of scopes?

this is with the high adjustments

Old 10-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Simmons 8-point

and without

Old 10-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an older Simmons *point scope I use on one of my rimfires, its a 3-9X and its been a real decent scope. No complaints here.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:40 AM

I also had the old simmons 8 point scope. However i had problems with mine. I had one and it would not stay lined up on my 270. i returned it and got another one and it worked fine for about a month while shooting it and one morning i missed a nice buck at about 70 yards and couldnt figure out why. Came home and shot it and it was shooting off by about 2 feet to the left. I adjusted it untill it was dead on at 100 yards. i shot it 2 more time and then it was off again. I will never buy another 8 point scope. I bought mine from wal-mart. Im sure that all of them cant be as bad as the 2 i had but i sure had a bad experience and it cost me a good buck too.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:20 PM

I suppose for .22s and the like a Simmons is "ok", though for scopes in that "class range" the Tasco World Class would suffice and is cheaper. I would rather see someone spend the cheap money on a Tasco, Bushnell, Alpen etc than pay a few more dollars for the "nothingness" they get with Simmons. I know it will piss a bunch of guys off in here, but personally I think the ONLY thing worse than seeing "Simmons" on the side of an optic is that of having "BSA" on it.

Hope it works great for ya tho,
RA

ps
On a completely sidenote, every scope maker has a "tactical" series and happily advertises such. When have you ever actually SEEN a military/law enforcement officer with equipment like Tasco, Simmons, BSA etc...? I know many and NONE of them use any such sort of equipment on stuff designed to be used in life or death situations.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:45 PM

I have a Simmons 8-point on my Savage 17 HMR, and like Briman I've been quite happy with it. That rifle has been in the field several times since my last vist to the range. Last week I took my 10 year old son to the range and after several shots, my boy was hitting the 10 ring on a regular basis at 50 yards, and this was his first trip to the range, and only second time shooting the rifle or any firearm, not counting air rifles.

Overall I'm quite happy with it even though it's a cheaper scope.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

The Simmons will be fine on your 17 HMR. I have had one on a 22Lr and it worked OK. You will probable notice that the windage/elevation adjustments aren't .25" per click. Once you are zeroed you should be fine. It just may take a little extra time. Mine seems to be about .437 per click not .250.

Simmons is known to bring out a quality scope line have it assembled in Japan and gain some market share. After the first couple of years they move assembly to the Phillipines and scope quality goes out the window. If your scope is manufactured in the Phillipines it may work well or may be a piece of junk.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have many simmons scopes, and have not had a problem with them, (of course on any high recoil rifles I only use Simmons Aetecs), the only thing I can comment on is for a varmit gun I like having the highest power scope I can get, on my 22 mag I have the simmons ATV 4-14x40mm, just personal preference, but I like to have all of the magnification I can get on small critters. The ATV scope is fairly cheap at right around $100-125, of course if you look on Ebay you can get an Aetec for that price, and get a much better scope.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:53 AM

my brother has had a simmons 8 piont 3-9x32 scope on his marlin 30-30 for about 6 yrs and has never had any problems with it. or had to re zero it in. it is always right on the money year after year. i have tried to buy him a beter scope but he said dont wast the money he is not changing scopes. so they must not all be junk. i also hade a simmons 3-9x32 on my 30-30 for the 3 yrs i owned the rifle and never had a problem with it.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:03 PM

Well. I have to chime in with my problems with a 8-point. I will admit that it worked great for 2 seasons out in the field under tough conditions. But this summer I went to the range to start getting ready for tomorrow morning and I noticed that my scope was off.
I was high and left about 2X2 at 100 yards. I got it zeroed in and then went thru another box of ammo. By the end of the box I was
high and left about a foot by a foot. Went back and forth many time. Even took it off and got a new set of rings thinking my scope had to be good. But alas I now have a Nikon ProStaff on there with my original scope mounts and it's perfect. I have just sent my 8-point to simmons to get them to fix it,

I do have to say I think the scope is kinda weak. There is too much plastic and not enough steal and metal on it. The Nikon on the other hand is one solid scope and I really noticed how bright the optics are in the Nikin over the Simmons. I personally would say spend the extra $40 on the nikon.

Quick Reply: Simmons 8-point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.