Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Basic caliber question? >

Basic caliber question?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Basic caliber question?

Old 10-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Basic caliber question?

Well, anything can happen on the internet!!!
Amen! Heck I once killed a running deer at 1500 yards with a 243 shooting free hand in a 60 mile per hour crosswind. Hit him in the eye right were I was aiming. Ain't the internet great. A man can do anything on it.

400 yards with open sights once I could pass off as a fluke. Claiming to do it consistently? Sorry I gotta call BS on that one. There is just no way to accurately aim open sights at that distance. The sights will completely cover even a deer sized animal at that distance. How can you tell which part of a deer you are going to hit when your front sight more than covers the whole animal?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:19 AM

some really good replies........Have you tried www.chuckhawks.com ? some of the
stuff on his site you have to pay for but alot of rifle and cartridge info is free. give
it a try. lots of info. what calibers for what, etc. good luck
Old 10-15-2004, 03:25 PM

Guys I admitt the scepticism on the 400yd open site shot, but give em the benefit of the doubt. He has a few things going for him. 1) he uses a 30-06 for deer(not a smaller caliber)which has knockdown power and to spare. 2)he uses heavy bullets for the animal 165gr(heavy for deer). 3)he uses handloads(always a plus). For personal reference there is an old guy here that goes to the range about 6 times a month near as I can tell. He shoots several old military rifles, 303brit, 8mm Argentine or something, anyways we have an old acetaline bottle at 1000yds and this guy sits there w/ open sites, obsolete pumpkin slinging cartridges, and gongs that 1000yd bottle 3 out of four shots sometimes better, whats more, he cant hit paper at 300 to save his bacon. Sooooo.......who knows.