Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Caliber Question

Old 11-19-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Caliber Question

I' ve been lurking here for a few weeks now. lots of good info. I' ve recently got bit by the hunting bug. I' ve only hunted rabbit and that was thirty years ago. This board has been one of my best resouces in my research stage. There' s a lot of debate on equipement here. But everyone, with only a couple of exceptions say to stay away from the rem 710. I narrowed it down to a 243 or 257 roberts depending on availability when i save the cash. My wife would also like to go with me. The main reason for my caliber choice as she is very recoil sensitve due to a bad back.

So that said, here' s the question. .40sw carbine. is it good for the small deer and hogs we have in florida? is the felt recoil more or less than my original caliber choice? The woods here tend to be fairly thick with underbrush and i dont think long range shots are going to be possible.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caliber Question

No would be my opinion of the 40 S&W for a deer, hog round . It was never intended for a game round . Stick with your original choice and you should be fine .
Old 11-19-2003, 10:33 PM

I have seen the .40 S&W used on hogs in Florida and it was MISERABLE! One of the hunters that was with me on a hunt in Salem, Fl earlier this year shot a hog 8 times and didn' t even slow it down. Only 2 bullets ever reached the organs and the damage was virtually ZERO! I finally had to push him out of the way and kill it with a rifle.

With that said, out of the 2 calibers you mentioned, I would recommend the .257 Roberts and use the heaviest bullets that shoot accurately in your gun. Yes the .243 will work, it' s just that the .257 will work just a little better due to the availability of heavier bullets. For hogs I would also recommend a premium bullet like the Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or something similar. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

I also would recomend the .257 Roberts. But if you like the idea of a short handy semi-auto carbine, in a close range deer/hog cartridge, look at the Ruger .44 Rem. Mag. (what do they call the new model they recently brought out, " Deerfield" ?)

Robin
Old 11-20-2003, 04:41 AM

I would recommed a Marlin lever action 336 in 35 rem caliber. Since you asked for an opinion.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

The .243 is a good choice for little recoil. If you have the cash you should look into a browning with BOSS. My .270 with BOSS kicks about the same as a .243 without.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

just to add one to the mix ....7mm-08
Old 11-20-2003, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

40 Smith and Wesson would not be legal where I hunt but maybe it is there. I would not consider it for any hunting other that small game. I have a 257 Roberts. That would be a good choice.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a 7mm-08 also...
Old 11-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stick with your original choices. The .243 with good 100 gr. bullets or the .257 Roberts make excellent deer rounds!

Quick Reply: Caliber Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.