Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

remington 710

Old 09-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: remington 710

Best tomato stake ever invented
Actually the Remington 597 make a better mater stake.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Frizzellr I stand corrected your absolutely right the 597 is even worse
Old 09-09-2004, 02:30 PM

i got a reminton the sportsman 78 it was made in 1988 and shoots groups around a fifty cent piece at 100 yards
Old 09-12-2004, 03:52 PM

I am amazed at the number of people who comment on the rifle without actually owning one. This is a great STARTER weapon. This is not for the serious hunter, but for the person who hunts once or twice a year (not shoots, hunts). As such however, this is a GREAT weapon for the price. I just recently got my first Black bear with my 710. The shot was right on target and I am NOT a good shot. This rifle comes well situated right out of the box, and groups well to 100 yrds. The bolt is not as smooth until you work it in a bit - very important, so go shooting with this before you hunt. A suprised Black bear is NOT the time to realize where the safety lever is. Overall, the value is really quite good... again this is a starter rifle. This ia a good rifle to start out with - Buy a Remington 700 if you have the cash, that is a good overall rifle for the longrun. But having shot Savage, and others; I would buy the 710 again any day.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most people on this forum that have commented on the 710 do not own one because they have shot one before hand. I agree with you on one point....the gun that I shot did shoot well but that is about the only positive I can say about that gun. I think a person could come away with a good quality used rifle with better optics for about the same money. For a little more money the beginner would be better off buying a Rem 700 and saving up for the optics later. IMO the problem with the 710 comes when the beginner/occasional hunter begins to hunt more and decides to upgrade to a better rifle and optics. I suspect he/she will find that the used market for a 710 will be almost zero. Time will only tell.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am amazed at the number of people who comment on the rifle without actually owning one.
I don't have to own a piece of crap to know crap when I see it and shoot it. I have been in this game a long time and no, the 710 is not a 'GREAT" anything except a great ploy by Remington to make some quick cash and screw alot of customers.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most people on this forum that have commented on the 710 do not own one because they have shot one before hand. I agree with you on one point....the gun that I shot did
I think I am old enough and bought enough different guns in my life to be able to judge a rifle/shotgun accurately. Its a tomato stake and a poor excuse for one. If you can't buy something better save up and buy one later don't throw money away.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calm down oldelkhunter! I am on your side here with regards to the 710. Maybe I should clarify my reply that you quoted....it was actually a response to dancutters post about people putting down the 710 and not actually owning one. My intended meaning was that you do not have to own a 710 to realise it is junk.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:18 PM
bigcountry

Well, I sure as crap would never own one. But its perfect for hunters who shoots 3 shots a year. There's alot of hunters that go out and shoot 3 shots to sight in a gun, then sit out in the woods until they get cold, and then stay drunk at hunting camp all week and agrivate the serious guys trying to get some rest. I mean why waste a good 700 just for that.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:23 PM

I bought a 710 and I am not unhappy with it. For the purpose I used it for I don't think it can be beat. I was doing forestry surveys and always found myself in the middle of the bush spooking game while I was working. I don't really actively hunt bears, but I while I am deer hunting I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one if it walked by. I run into them all the time while doing surveys, I figure I'm out there, why not take a crack at one. Same goes for a moose calf. I bought the 710 mainly for two reasons. One, it was the first rifle I would buy, and 2, when I am doing surveys I have to trek through the nastiest bush you can think of. It's is all clear cuts that have aged 4-10 years. The bush is thick and sometimes the cut blocks are chemically or manually tended. I fall hard all the time. I wanted a rifle that I wasn't afraid to beat up from time to time. The 710 is suited well to that and it shoots great. It ain't pretty to look at but it does the job well for me. I have immersed myself way more into hunting and shooting since I bought the 710 and now I plan to upgrade, but when I head out for surveys there will only be one gun I reach for.

Wouldn't you know it though, bears or moose calves don't seem to jump out in front of me while I am doing surveys anymore.

Quick Reply: remington 710

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.